Instrument Cables

T89Rex

Hi all. I'm investigating cables to (finally) get my pedalboard all wired up and it seems the easiest and cheapest way to get all the different lengths I'll need is to make them myself. From searching the forum and reading online I think I've settled on Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. I was just wondering if someone could look over my choices and check I'm not about to make any expensive errors.

I'm looking at buying 20-ish metres of Mogami 2524 cable (here: http://www.ordiocables.com.au/product/mogami-2524-guitar-cable-per-metre/) to cut my Guitar>Board, Board>Amp and patch cables.

Then, this connector on each end of the Board>Amp cable: http://factorysound.com/products/np2x-b

One of the above, and one of these on the Guitar>Board cable: http://factorysound.com/products/np2x-au-silent

And these on both ends of the patch cables: http://factorysound.com/products/np2rx-b

Does that look sensible? The soldering job looks very simple to me, but are there any potential pitfalls I might be missing?

Thanks in advance!

Looks perfect to me. Almost identical to what I used to wire my pedalboard, except I used balanced Mogami 2792 cable and a number of Neutrik NP3X TRS connectors in addition to the TS connectors due to pedal connection requirements. You're right - it's an expensive way to go - but you're gonna end up with what will arguably be the best cables money can buy. To get them already made with cable and connectors of that quality would cost you dramatically more.

Looks good to me as well.  I personally used Canare cable, but the stuff you chose is top drawer as well.

For what it's worth, I use this to wire up my pedalboard:

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=22&productname=DIY_Solderless_Pedalboard_Cable_Kit

Custom lengths, great quality connectors, and no soldering! 

Insulation displacement connectors have their place, but I'm pretty sure it's not in portable equipment. Anything that's going to be moved, manipulated, subject to vibration, unstable environmental space or mechanical stress is going to fail that kind of connector very early. A connection that's not held in place by solder, compression terminals or some sort of positive retention is only temporary at best.

Talk to someone that uses them, and they'll always say "they're great!" Mention that you're concerned about early failure and/or intermittent operation, and they'll say "but they're so easy to fix!" instead of "I've not had that problem".

But, I'm just an old curmudgeon  :laughing7:

Cagey said:
Insulation displacement connectors have their place, but I'm pretty sure it's not in portable equipment. Anything that's going to be moved, manipulated, subject to vibration, unstable environmental space or mechanical stress is going to fail that kind of connector very early. A connection that's not held in place by solder, compression terminals or some sort of positive retention is only temporary at best.

Talk to someone that uses them, and they'll always say "they're great!" Mention that you're concerned about early failure and/or intermittent operation, and they'll say "but they're so easy to fix!" instead of "I've not had that problem".

But, I'm just an old curmudgeon  :laughing7:

Well, I gig fairly regularly.  I'm not abusive of my equipment, but not ginger with it either.  The cables I made with the Planet Waves kit are going on 4 years without failure, so I can honestly say "I've not had that problem".

I've resoldered plenty of broken guitar and mic cables in my lifetime, so anything can fail given time.  As the saying goes ... "your milage may vary".

I'm sure the technology and/or quality has improved since I've used them, and the ability to repair a cable without having to heat up a soldering iron is appealing. Still, I think I'll stick with more permanent solutions until I don't have a choice.

Actually, when I think about it, we all use quite a number of insulation displacement connectors. The RJ-11 connectors on phones (for those who still have landlines), the RJ-45 connectors on network cables, the F-type connectors on coax, any ribbon cables in any electronics - those are all insulation displacement.

I've got some solderless George Ls here and they've had their share of troubles. They're good when they're working but if I kick the cable when stomping on a pedal, sometimes I lose the signal. Other times I get horrific drone noises coming from them. At home that's fine, but I'm trying to get out into clubs and stuff again in the near future, and with 15+ pedals I don't really trust that I could work with them live anymore.

EDIT: Though the connectors on those Planet Waves look substantially more robust than what I have on the George Ls.

T89Rex said:
I've got some solderless George Ls here and they've had their share of troubles. They're good when they're working but if I kick the cable when stomping on a pedal, sometimes I lose the signal. Other times I get horrific drone noises coming from them. At home that's fine, but I'm trying to get out into clubs and stuff again in the near future, and with 15+ pedals I don't really trust that I could work with them live anymore.

EDIT: Though the connectors on those Planet Waves look substantially more robust than what I have on the George Ls.

Actually the kit I used looks a little different from the web link I posted.  The connectors are really solid, held in place with a set-screw.
I've done close to 100 gigs in the last 4 years with 10 pedals wired together with this kit ... bars, outdoor parties, corporate shows, and never so much as a crackle.  I have 2 "always on" pedals, but the others get turned on/off for various songs, so my pedalboard definitely gets regular use.

Attachments

• lg_pw-gpkit-10.jpg
    lg_pw-gpkit-10.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 357
Aye, they look much nicer than the ones I have:

6hi8rWz.jpg

Back