Installing tuners on Warmoth head

tfarny

Master Member
Hey somebody's got a nice-looking Warmoth neck on ebay - I pulled this picture of the tuner installation. Does that look odd to you guys? Should the tuners be parallel to the neck itself on this kind of headstock, instead of parallel to the edge of the headstock itself? I'm just wondering what you guys think is the better way.

I'm not sure, but it looks to me if you tried to make the two E tuners parallel to the neck, the part you turn is going to be almost (if not) touching the peg head. I think they look weird because it's not a Gibson headstock. The Gibson one is a lot straighter so there's room to keep them all parallel. But I could be wrong - I don't have a warmoth headstock available to mess with.

I would remedy that by using different tuners.  Those definetly look bizarre on that headstock!

I was looking at that one last night and thought the same thing. I did mine much differently.

IM000719.jpg

If you want to see how parallell-mounted tuners look on a curved headstock, have a look at the PRS Mccarty-model. It has "vintage" tuners too. My opinion is that it looks better parallell than following the curve.

edit; looks like you beat me to you own post :)

I agree, it looks better parallel.  That's how I installed them on my LP.

Id look for which is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.  I like parallel but I ran into one of these recently, and it had to be done similar to stock or the lower tuning keys weren't all that accessible.  Gretsch 5120 btw.

tfarny said:
Hey somebody's got a nice-looking Warmoth neck on ebay - I pulled this picture of the tuner installation. Does that look odd to you guys? Should the tuners be parallel to the neck itself on this kind of headstock, instead of parallel to the edge of the headstock itself? I'm just wondering what you guys think is the better way.
I spotted that one the other night, but didn't pay much attention to the placement of the tuners. Looks as tho they were trying to make the tuners follow the radius. Doesn't look bad, but I as most others put mine straight... :icon_biggrin:

guitlouie said:
I would remedy that by using different tuners.  Those definetly look bizarre on that headstock!
I thawt the same thing, they just look out of place..... :icon_scratch:

no, I prefer the 'prs' way. very simple reason, except for esthetics. I have big fingers, and need al the space for tuning. thats one of the reasons I dont like strats and tele's.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It looks strange I'll agree.  The placement/orientation of the Warwick tuners keeps me up at night.

Warwick.jpg

keeps you up all night in a bad way ... or a bad way?

if the latter, might I simply suggest a cold shower. if the former, wear a little more garlic to fend it off

:toothy12:

R

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It looks strange I'll agree.  The placement/orientation of the Warwick tuners keeps me up at night.

Warwick.jpg

it looks like a sad dog with 4 ears... :tard:

Back