Installing Schaller tuners

crash

Help!

Just got my neck in today.  The tuner holes in the peg head are just as they should be according to this link:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/TunerHolesPop.aspx

But the Schaller tuners do not mount flush on the back side of the peg head.  There is about 1mm of space.
gallery_9_39_22677.jpg

Is there any special trick to getting them flush?

Mine did that too. When you tighten the washers they usually go right down, but I had a rubber hammer just in case.

rockskate4x said:
Mine did that too. When you tighten the washers they usually go right down, but I had a rubber hammer just in case.
I concur, they're quite snug. Though I didn't have a rubber hammer, I didn't need one after tightening the washers down..

Thanks for the replies.  I only hand tightened the nut from the other side so far.  Didn't want to over-tighten anything.

crash said:
Help!

Just got my neck in today.  The tuner holes in the peg head are just as they should be according to this link:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/TunerHolesPop.aspx

But the Schaller tuners do not mount flush on the back side of the peg head.  There is about 1mm of space.
gallery_9_39_22677.jpg

Is there any special trick to getting them flush?

Mine did the exact same thing. I did whip out some sandpaper and glued some to a wooden dowl and I
lightly sanded the area, but yeah - one you put in the nut and washer on the 'logo side' and tighten that
the gap should disappear. Be very careful when you're talking about a hammer and anything headstock
related. :)

ORC

I tightened the nuts and the tuners went flush.  I was just afraid of possibly overtightening anything and cracking the wood.  All is well now!  Thanks for the help!

newbie here...

out of curiosity does Warmoth pre-drill necks with screw holes for specified tuning machines?  or in the case of Sperzel tuners do they drill the hole for the set pin?

thanks

The only holes warmoth drills are controls, neck screws, and TOM/Stop studs.  Pickguard screws, tuner screws, jack screws are not drilled.

Back