Installing Ferrules

724sp

Here's a dumb question from a rookie...

I'm getting ready to install the string ferrules on the back of my hard-tail Warmoth body.  I am using traditional ferrules from Callaham (the ones with the lip on them).  They fit the standard hole that Warmoth provided in the back of the guitar, but I am wondering if I need to countersing the holes so that the lip of the ferrule fits flush with the body?  Or, are these designed so that the lip sits slightly above the body?  Oh yes, I should mention that this is a strat build.  My Tele's are all flush, but I have never seen a hard-tail strat and am not familiar with this ferrule with a "lip".  Thanks for the help!!

The was a thread over in tips and tricks about ferrule installation.  I assume the same process should take place with Callaham ferrules.Linky Doo

Good Luck on your build,
Rose

I do believe you can install those ferrules either way, it's your choice.  I'd leave them above, not countersunk

724sp said:
they fit the standard hole that Warmoth provided in the back
are these designed so that the lip sits slightly above the body

Make sure they fit, by miking the hole and miking the ferrule.  Sizes vary, and a tight fit is good, but not too tight.  Personally... about .005 max for the ferrule to hole fit... ya know you can only compress that wood "so much" before stress starts to be a problem.  IOW, its a ferrule to be "pressed" in, not a nail to be "driven" in.

To countersink the holes you're going to have to temporarily fill the holes made by Warmoth, or get fancy and have a piloted counterbore cutter made.  You'll never get a square bottom coutnersink to center on the hole unless you do it in a vertical mill or use a piloted tool.  The option of filling the hole and recutting the whole thing is perhaps an easier option, using a forstner bit to cut the counter sink part, then drilling out the plug with a smaller forstner bit... or letting the ferrule sit on its shoulders and just drill out the plug with standard bit.

Thanks, CB-

I figured I'd need a vertical mill to do this...I think I'll just leave the ferrule lip above the wood.  The fit of the actual ferrules into the pre-drilled Warmoth holes is real good, so I think I'll leave it alone!  Appreciate the feedback.

Back