Installed Graphite Earvana Nut

RexTheDog

Warmoth can now pre install earvana nuts made out of white corina.  If you could get these made out of a self lubricating material thatd be awesome. Also being able to have a black one would be good if you have black hardware on your guitar and want the nut to match.

On the subject of it, what do people here think of the earvana nut?  I remember reading a post where a guy had built himself a super strat out of korina with a koa top.  He had an earvana nut on it and said it was good but just decided it was the last one hed be having cause he preferred the oldschool style.  Im curious to know what issues people have with them.

Oh i just had another cool idea! I dont imagine this one is feasible im just throwing it out there cause itd kick ass.  Imagine a compensating lsr style nut.  Perfect for tremolos!

In my opinion the solid ones that Warmoth has just started installing should be much much better than the 2 piece one that screws together, but I haven't tried one yet. I would assume since they're solid and made from the same material as a normal corian nut that they are great. I like what a compensated nut does for tuning, I just don't care for the 2 piece nut I mentioned.

Am I right that this kind of nut should work on my LP neck? I'd love to try one again, but I'll never use the one with the screws.

http://www.earvana.com/Gibson_dropin.htm

not sure why you'd buy this one: http://www.earvana.com/Gibson_Retro.htm - - if the above one works as well

I fitted Earvana nuts on my two guitars (one VIP, Les-Paul-style nut, and one Strat) and they work very well. They even solved most tuning stability issues I had with Graphtec nuts.

The one-piece compensated nuts that Warmoth now offers is with no doubt an excellent option if you want a stock compensated nut. The only advantage I see with the Earvana is that they are retro-fit, which means they don't require neck customization and so you can revert back to a standard nut if you want.

The fact Earvana nuts are in two parts has not been a problem for me. In fact this provides for an additional adjustment if needed.

The earvana nut that warmoth pre installs was designed by warmoth and is calibrated specifically to the neck it is going into. taking into account things like radius, fretsize, scale etc.  You shouldnt ever need to adjust this nut for it to intonate properly, just like the other nuts they install.

Bump for graphite earvana nut!

yeah, i'd rock one of those out. i also am not heaps keen on the two-part nut. i find mine to be slightly annoying. and the plastic material makes the strings bind enough to mess with my tuning.
>Jean, what issues have you had with graphtec nuts? i am thinking about one for my next build, what is your opinion on them?

RexTheDog said:
Warmoth can now pre install earvana nuts made out of white corina.  If you could get these made out of a self lubricating material thatd be awesome. Also being able to have a black one would be good if you have black hardware on your guitar and want the nut to match.

Its already been tried.  It was found to be rather unstable.  The odds of the material imploding, ripping a hole in space and destroying most of the universe are too high for it too be used in guitars.

rightintheface said:
>Jean, what issues have you had with graphtec nuts? i am thinking about one for my next build, what is your opinion on them?

Sorry for the lag I don't log in often. I have two Warmoth guitars, both initially ordered with a Graphtec nut for 30$ extra. It is the so-called graphite itself that does not live up to its reputation. When using the Graphtec nuts with a Wilkinson termolo and locking tuners, I found that the tuning was unstable on both of my guitars. By that I mean that it does not take much tremolo action to go out of tune (especially the G), and I'm not talking dive-bombing! Out of curiosity, I eventually switched for an Eavana nut on my Strat and the stability problems were gone. Did the same to my VIP with the same result. And when I say the problems are gone, I mean gone. I can go nuts with the whammy and the tuning remains dead stable. In fact I am still amazed. Plus I get to enjoy the compensation effect which is great in itself. Next time I go with a factory compensated or the Earvana option again. Graphtec nuts were just a big deception for me.

My guess there is that your nuts slots were too tight from the factory and you didn't open them out sufficiently. Those warmoth nuts need TLC - they don't come ready to play, as that is ideally a personal job dependent on your playing style and string gauge. I've got two W graphite nuts and after getting them in shape they cause no issues whatsoever.

How many winds did your strings have around the tuning pegs? I've seen that cause problems with trems if the string is able to easily slide through the nut ( as it can with graphtech), then loosen around the peg and bind. I don't normally defend gear, it is just gear afterall, but I've never made any mod to my guitar that made me happier than my graphtech nut and saddles - though I changed to locking tuners at the time which also helps a tonne with tuning stability (no full wraps around the peg = no binding).

Whatever you're happy with though is obviously the way to go though, can only base so much on other people's opinions.

tfarny, the sales pitch for the Graphtech nuts states that the material is "self-lubricating". To me, self-lubricating means it does not required additional lube before use or perdiodically. Also, I don't think the width of the slots were too tight (I use extra-light gauge strings). The cut and prep of the nuts itself was absolutely perfect thanks to Warmoth. It's just that Earvana won on both of my guitars in terms of tuning stability.

AToE, as stated in my post both of my guitars have locking tuners (Sperzels), with less than a turn on each post. Winding was not the problem, although it's a good call.

My idea was not to start a debate!! Just to mention I have been satisfied with my switch from Graphtech to Earvana nuts.

I wasn't trying to debate you, I was suggesting the probably cause of the tuning instability with the graphite nuts - I've had some, and they're great. "self-lubricating" means you shouldn't need grease, it doesn't mean that the slots are not too tight to begin with. It is the #1 cause of all tuning issues, and getting your nut set up correctly is key to having an amazing playing guitar. I'm just suggesting you shouldn't blame the graphite material itself for your issues, but instead blame your lack of getting the nut setup. I've had at least 6 warmoth nuts and they ALL needed additional work to be ideal players. I've given up on them and will just make my own bone nuts from now on.

I also agree that your ideas (cut width, string winding, etc.) are all good food for thought for anyone facing tuning stability problems, regardless of the nut brand or type. Those looking for Graphtech nuts should indeed consider fine tuning the cuts or having a luthier do it (it's probably very easy to mess up with the depth of the slots). Warmoth sell a set of nut files (http://www.warmoth.com/Nut-Files-Set-of-8-P45.aspx) for that...

Jean said:
tfarny, the sales pitch for the Graphtech nuts states that the material is "self-lubricating". To me, self-lubricating means it does not required additional lube before use or perdiodically. Also, I don't think the width of the slots were too tight (I use extra-light gauge strings). The cut and prep of the nuts itself was absolutely perfect thanks to Warmoth. It's just that Earvana won on both of my guitars in terms of tuning stability.

AToE, as stated in my post both of my guitars have locking tuners (Sperzels), with less than a turn on each post. Winding was not the problem, although it's a good call.

My idea was not to start a debate!! Just to mention I have been satisfied with my switch from Graphtech to Earvana nuts.

Ha, no worries, whatever works for you works for you. I just loved mine some much (and the saddles, I haven't broken a string in 4 years, and I play hard) I wanted to give my 2 cents. I've gotten close results out of other nuts made from different materials by widening the slots (too much a couple times) and regularily rubbing pencil graphite in them.

Tele8.jpg

The compensated nut is the best guitar improvement in a long time. Everyone should try one of these. The only thing I used to dislike was the ugly two-peice retrofit nuts, but now that W installs them I have no complaints at all, and my second W neck with an Earvana is being finished at present. I just wish they'd get around to doing them for tilt-back necks already.

Everyone should try one of these at least once.

I must agree that the corian Earvana/Warmoth nuts are great.  The one I put into the Bocote neck on my Mary Kaye strat is just great.  Most of my guitar buddies notice the way it sounds and then look at it for a while before it sets in that it is special.  Always fun.  I really want to plunk down for a tilt headstock neck with one, but I have to wait.  Hard to do when there is something there you want.  When I ordered some stuff to get all of the parts needed for a project, I asked about the tiltback Warmoth/Earvana and was told that it is in the works.  I just wish that it would be Christmas morning already.  Maybe one of the Warmoth guys will give an update.  Arg, it will probably read like, "It is in the works."
Patrick

I recently installed an earvana retrofit nut on one of my Warmoth axes, I will never build another guitar without an earvana nut, I'm no Joe Satriani or Eric Johnson, But I can tell you theres a differance and it's huge.

If someone says that you have to be an expert to tell the differance, I say bullcrap, Chords played at mid neck with an earvana are in tune, anyone who's played for a while can hear the better sound, all you who have heard that one string outta tune knows what i'm talking about.

I like barre chords but I usually have to adjust the tuning of the 3rd string to accomodate for them, and then my open chords are out of tune. If I could get an earvana in graphite that would be SWEEEEEEEET!!!

Back