Initial Questions

joelorigo

I got on this board a few weeks ago looking for guidance on a specific wiring I was attempting. I have been thinking on and off about trying a Warmoth build for years. A couple initial questions.

Is it the situation that the necks from Warmoth will need fretwork or do they come leveled, polished, etc?

I am looking at the Mooncaster.  Will it satisfy my interest in a ES-335 type guitar? And is it a hard one to attempt for a novice?

Warmoth does a great job of installing frets and clipping them cleanly, but they don't do any "fretwork". Maybe I've been lucky, but I've been extremely happy with my Warmoth necks after just cleaning up the ends and polishing the frets. Others here will tell you that all new necks need a fret level for maximum playability.

I've never played a Mooncaster, but I assume if you put some vintage-y humbuckers in one you'll get your 335 type sounds. A Mooncaster build shouldn't be any harder than other guitar types.

Another thing I was wondering about was bridge routing. I see Warmouth has several options. I am thinking about the Super-Vee Bladerunner tremolo unit, which my brother in law put in is Fender Strat recently, and is very fond of. Since the Bladerunner fits in a Fender, would a logical choice be the "American Standard Strat® Tremolo" option routing?

Regarding your questions :
1. ES335 looking ? s+See the attached picture....
2. Fretwork?  Usually minimal but for really low action, you might require trussrod adjustment and fret level if necessary.  Modern necks with double expanding trussrods have more adjustment scope.
3. Tremolo bridge routing if following Strat footprints will be fine. You just gave to specify for 2 pivot studs or vintage 6 screws.
Have fun......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211_112300.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211_112300.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 150
joelorigo said:
Another thing I was wondering about was bridge routing. I see Warmouth has several options. I am thinking about the Super-Vee Bladerunner tremolo unit, which my brother in law put in is Fender Strat recently, and is very fond of. Since the Bladerunner fits in a Fender, would a logical choice be the "American Standard Strat® Tremolo" option routing?

Take a quick look at this page I have linked below.

The Bladerunner trems are mentioned in the footnote at the bottom of the linked webpage with a $45 upcharge if you want the bridge rout done for them. But in that same sentence they say they use a standard rout...So I don't know why there's an upcharge.  :icon_scratch:

My suggestion? Take comprehensive measurements of the bridge you want to install, then contact Warmoth either by phone if you can OR by email. Better to ask BEFORE ordering, than to try and make it fit once you get the body delivered. Sorry if I complicated things up for you, but it's best to ask a stack of questions before putting your $$ into a project.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx

Re-Pete said:
joelorigo said:

Take a quick look at this page I have linked below.

The Bladerunner trems are mentioned in the footnote at the bottom of the linked webpage with a $45 upcharge if you want the bridge rout done for them. But in that same sentence they say they use a standard rout...So I don't know why there's an upcharge.  :icon_scratch:

My suggestion? Take comprehensive measurements of the bridge you want to install, then contact Warmoth either by phone if you can OR by email. Better to ask BEFORE ordering, than to try and make it fit once you get the body delivered. Sorry if I complicated things up for you, but it's best to ask a stack of questions before putting your $$ into a project.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx

Yeah, thank you, that's interesting and confusing. No you are not complicating things, I agree it's better to try to anticipate everything before ordering. Since it would be my first one I would most likely contact them before I ordered anything. Another option I am considering is the Dusenberg tremolo that is an add on to LP/SG style guitars.

In reference to your Mooncaster question...I've asked the same and gotten this answer.

The Mooncaster is a block of wood that has it's inner area routed out, and a cap placed on top
A 335 has sides glued to the top and bottom with a center block

Mooncaster is a bolt on neck
335 is a glued on set neck

Ultimately, it won't sound exactly like a 335.  Tonally, the Mooncaster will be closer to a hollow body Tele, Strat, Warmoth VIP, etc.  If you use a 24.75" conversion neck, you'll be in the ballpark, assuming same woods are used, but for a 335 purist....it won't be a 335. 

With reference to the Supervee Bladeruner. I have one on a Fender Strat six screw mount. It fits without any modification whatsoever and would do so in an equivalent Warmoth body for $0 upcharge.

rauchman said:
In reference to your Mooncaster question...I've asked the same and gotten this answer.

The Mooncaster is a block of wood that has it's inner area routed out, and a cap placed on top

Ultimately, it won't sound exactly like a 335.  Tonally, the Mooncaster will be closer to a hollow body Tele, Strat, Warmoth VIP, etc.  If you use a 24.75" conversion neck, you'll be in the ballpark, assuming same woods are used, but for a 335 purist....it won't be a 335.

Agree. Mooncaster & ES-335 are constructed in a different way. If you want the looks or you believe only pickups matter go for it.

rauchman said:

Thanks. “In the ballpark” might be ok for me. I don’t know if I’m a 335 purist since I’ve never owned one, and since I’m left handed, never even played one. What woods would be suggested for getting the closest tonality?

Regarding the 335 sound, I've played 3-4 different Mooncasters built by a good friend of mine, and IMO, it can definitely get you into the same territory, but it's still very much its own beast. If a 335 is what you're looking for, it's probably not going to be your best option.

And as for the Super Vee, from everything I understand (up to and including a video by Darren Braun), it should fit in the normal Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo rout Warmoth offers. But if you're truly concerned about it, I know you can order the body cut for the trem block, but with no screw or post holes drilled. That way you could totally just drill the 6 holes for the Bladerunner yourself.

Hope this helps a little bit!  :)

joelorigo said:
rauchman said:

Thanks. “In the ballpark” might be ok for me. I don’t know if I’m a 335 purist since I’ve never owned one, and since I’m left handed, never even played one. What woods would be suggested for getting the closest tonality?

If it helps....

I have a Gibson Midtown semi hollow body, which is more similar to a set neck Mooncaster than a 335.  Like the Mooncaster, the body is routed out and a cap placed on top.  If the Mooncaster is anywhere in this tonal range (I'd guess it's quite similar), it sounds fantastic.

For woods, I'd go mahogany body with some flavor of maple top (regular, quilted, flame, etc).  I personally like a maple/rosewood neck better than a mahogany/rosewood neck.  I have a 1975 Gibson Les Paul with a 3pc maple neck, that has a distinctly different sound from my all mahogany '92 LP Custom.  I find the maple makes for a brighter, sweeter sound.  If you want a darker, warmer sound, go for the mahogany neck.

stultzies9 said:
Regarding the 335 sound, I've played 3-4 different Mooncasters built by a good friend of mine, and IMO, it can definitely get you into the same territory, but it's still very much its own beast. If a 335 is what you're looking for, it's probably not going to be your best option.

And as for the Super Vee, from everything I understand (up to and including a video by Darren Braun), it should fit in the normal Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo rout Warmoth offers. But if you're truly concerned about it, I know you can order the body cut for the trem block, but with no screw or post holes drilled. That way you could totally just drill the 6 holes for the Bladerunner yourself.

Hope this helps a little bit!  :)

Good to know both of those points, thanks.

rauchman said:
joelorigo said:
rauchman said:

If it helps....

I have a Gibson Midtown semi hollow body, which is more similar to a set neck Mooncaster than a 335.  Like the Mooncaster, the body is routed out and a cap placed on top.  If the Mooncaster is anywhere in this tonal range (I'd guess it's quite similar), it sounds fantastic.

For woods, I'd go mahogany body with some flavor of maple top (regular, quilted, flame, etc).  I personally like a maple/rosewood neck better than a mahogany/rosewood neck.  I have a 1975 Gibson Les Paul with a 3pc maple neck, that has a distinctly different sound from my all mahogany '92 LP Custom.  I find the maple makes for a brighter, sweeter sound.  If you want a darker, warmer sound, go for the mahogany neck.

I have never heard of the midtown, what a cool guitar. Gibson has a 1959 reissue es355 that is a maple/poplar/maple laminate body and a mahogany neck. So it seems the most closely a mooncaster could be would be a maple body and a mahogany neck, but yeah, would still be its own thing. But alternatively, the various choices of wood from warmoth means more options on look and tone.

Back