In the News, Today.

Soylent

I've taken up, for at least today, writing headlines for the world news.

"France's longest battle without surrendering in 300 years today at wimbeldon."

Thank you.  :laughing7:

Not to be too much of a party pooper, but France won one of the bloodiest battles in history during WWI.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun  (Their performance in WWII was less impressive.)

Not to mention the final battle of the American Revolution had more French fighting for American freedom than Americans. We're too quick to forget that.

NLD09 said:
Not to mention the final battle of the American Revolution had more French fighting for American freedom than Americans. We're too quick to forget that.

It has been 200+ years. 

Personaly, I'm more enamored with their wonderful pommes frites, er, I mean French fries.  Now there's a contribution to history that won't be forgotten as quickly.  :hello2:

Yeah, the French aren't as sissified as the stereotype suggests. Just check out their national anthem (loosely translated):

Aux armes citoyens    (Citizens, take up your arms)
Formez vos bataillons  (Form your batallions)
Marchons, marchons    (Let us march)
Qu'un sang impur        (So that impure blood)     
Abreuve nos sillons      (May water our fields)

France's history is chock-full of revolution, war and all sorts of other manly stuff. Rudyard Kipling said it best: "Their business is war, and they do their business." They had no chance agains the Germans in WWII because they were still picking up the pieces after WWI. And even so, let's not forget the Resistance... I'm by no means a French sympathizer (I don't think a single French-Canadian out there feels any real attachment to la Patrie ), I just like to do my part to debunk stereotypes.

It must be the pastries and beret that gave them such a bad reputation.  :laughing7:

From Cracked:

Since 387 BC, France has fought 168 major wars against such badasses as the Roman Empire, the British Army and the Turkish forces. Their track record isn't too shabby, either: They've won 109, lost 49 and drawn (or as close as you can "draw" a war) 10 times. Professional boxers have been crowned world champions on shittier records than that.

And while it is true that France surrendered to Germany relatively early in WWII, that was only because they hadn't picked themselves up after WWI yet. And WWI (despite being an entire "I" lower) wasn't exactly an anemic playground chickenfight--the French suffered about 5.7 million casualties (the war killed or wounded an incredible 37 million people worldwide).

So yes, the next time around they let the Germans take over officially, but they never actually stopped fighting: the French resistance was one of the most enduring symbols of Nazi opposition in Europe. The resistance was the originator of the archetypal trench coat wearing merchants of bloody death you see in countless action movies and video games today. They blew up bridges, staged daring night raids, slit German throats while generally looking fantastic (if a little ennui-stricken) while doing it.

And not a damn thing's changed since then: France is the most underestimated military force in the world, with the third highest military spending on the planet and an estimated 300 nuclear warheads at their disposal. So basically... we might want to knock off the "coward" talk now, lest we find the impeccably-styled death squads smoking their thin cigarettes on our doorstep.

And aren't we taking this too seriously?

NLD09 said:

Um, lol?  Because Lafayette continuously guilted the French aristocracy and it happened to coincide with their personal desires, they shipped over some troops at the end of the war... after Washington had Lafayette baiting the British around the South for months until they could arrive and Washington could return.  The French were not heros because they showed up for what amounted to a walk-on victory.  They were opportunists at best.  There were amazing French PEOPLE who helped us win our freedom, but it was against the wishes of the French... government... such as it was.  Lafayette was considered a criminal as soon as he left France to help us, and we would not be a nation today without his help.  He was later jailed upon his return, and his wife and children demanded to be jailed with him, because THEY were actual badasses.  Oh, and, let's not forget that the Statue of Liberty was not intended for this nation at all.  We got it because Egypt didn't want it.

So yeah, you'll pardon me if I don't jump up and down at the integrity of the French ruling class.  Don't make me mention what went down when the UN (and all Americans) were asked to leave France.

-Mark

ErogenousJones said:
Max said:
And aren't we taking this too seriously?

I thought taking things too seriously was the new trend around here... My bad.  :laughing7:

I'm very sorry my joke upset you all.

No wait, I'm not sorry at all. It's a joke people. I went to school, I know the history of history.. so chill out.

CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

If this offends you, good.  :icon_jokercolor:

By the way, I'm also somewhat joking around.  I have good friends that I argue about the virtues of France over beer with all the time.  In the end, I believe we all have our place in the glass house.

-Mark

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious either. I just like to play Devil's advocate and throw facts at people. I'm a bit of a jerk that way.  :laughing7:

And it's actually pretty hard to offend me on most days.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Max said:
And while it is true that France surrendered to Germany relatively early in WWII, that was only because they hadn't picked themselves up after WWI yet.

The Germans did.

And wasn't THAT a raging success!

Personally, I like the French for their cheese and their "Who the hell cares?" attitude about politicians' personal peccadilloes that have nothing to do with their political positions.

bagman67 said:

Of course not, but if your neighbors rebuilt themselves after losing a war (even to become the next great evil) then the arguement loses wind, IMO.  Wasn't most of Europe recovering after the Great War?

=CB= sez:

"settles in with a Drambuie to watch the show here...."

................don't forget the popcorn...!

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
bagman67 said:

Of course not, but if your neighbors rebuilt themselves after losing a war (even to become the next great evil) then the arguement loses wind, IMO.  Wasn't most of Europe recovering after the Great War?

Sure. But to be fair, I wasn't really trying to make an argument per se; I was just stating a fact: most of europe was devastated after WWI, and it just so happens that France wasn't quite back on its feet by the time the Germans rolled in. So the best option was to surrender.

This really is a case of "I'z just sayin' is all".  :dontknow:

Back