In memory

My mom and aunt and I spent all day at the house trying to go through things and figure out how to get everything in order, but we ended up just walking around confusedly.  We got almost nothing done. 

hannaugh said:
My mom and aunt and I spent all day at the house trying to go through things and figure out how to get everything in order, but we ended up just walking around confusedly.  We got almost nothing done. 

I've been there recently with my father-in-law.  My poor wife and her stepbrother and I have been down to san diego a lot lately to handle Leon's affairs, and it's taken a lot of discipline to just carry stuff out of the house.  I think it helps to make a list of specific tasks you want to get accomplished, and allot twice the time you think you need, at least.  And bring your husband if he's got time - often comparatively detached (but compassionate) spousal assistance will get you moving and make the immeasurable task of cleaning up after someone's left this world a bit more finite.

Peace

Bagman

hannaugh said:
When someone dies, the relatives get temporary ADD.  At least in my family.  It's weird.

Your family and a lot of other ones.  Hang in there.  It won't always feel this way. In the meantime, you might as well really commit to feeling it in spades.

Bagman

hannaugh said:
....He was the captain of a B-29 in WWII, he was a rocket scientist and an electrical engineer after the war, and he was a pilot and flight instructor well into his late 80s. 

He always asked my friends that came over to the house if they wanted to join him for brandy and cigars in the parlor, even though he didn't smoke and we didn't have a parlor.  He did this ever since I can remember... even when I was in grade school...

I just now saw your post, sorry to hear the sad news.  :(  All of my relatives from WWII (that I knew of) are gone. I love the quote about cigars and brandy...I think he and I would've gotten along.  :icon_smile:

Back