If you were to break down and buy one...

Graffiti62

Hey everybody--

After being a good dad for a couple of weeks, my wife told me to get out of the house and do my guitar stuff this past Saturday. I wound up going to my dad's furniture repair shop to work on the budget Squire, and I then hit the local music shops to buy a couple of packs of Ernies and a few doo-dads. Naturally, I played around with a bit of stuff while I was at the music store. After being exposed to Warmoth's stuff, all of the shiny Gibsons and Fenders didn't really tickle me the way they used to, especially with the Gibsons at Henri's in Green Bay all having that thin 60s neck profile. I guess that's what sells and it helps people out who have smaller hands. The only one that truly impressed me was kind of the odd-ball model in Gibson's line. I found one of those brand new Melody Makers in white for about $425. The thing had a nice chunky neck on it and was honestly a lot of fun, despite being Gibson's cheapie. The only thing I'd do differently was put a TOM on it or a Gotoh 510 instead of the standard affair wraparound.

It made me think--if you had to break down and buy a pre-manufactured guitar, what would it be?

Thanks!

My brain keeps telling me that I need a Martin OM-28. I really don't, but that's what the voices are saying.

I want my guitar back that was stolen last week. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find one (as a lefty).

Schecter Hellcat.

hellcat_wht.jpg

Mine was black, though. And didn't have that crazy bridge. And had three mini HB's. But still, that's the gist of it. It was a weird little thing, but man, I loved it.

Wow - same as Rich. Martin OM-28. Dang, those little voices get around! 
Actually there are a lot of guitars that I can't really make that I'd like to get. A rick 12-string, and a good ES335 with a thick neck would be two more.

Does Pre-manufactured 50 years ago count?

If not, then I'd go for a really nice acoustic.  Santa Cruz, Lowden, top spec Martin, Top Spec Taylor maybe.
Possibly a Fender 'John Mayer' strat,  that thing is a belter (although you could get seriously close with a Warmoth build of correct spec).

Other than I'd get one of the proper vintage re-issue Gibson 335's.

:help:  I think I'm getting gas

Prolly a Gibson Firebird VII in metallic blue with chrome hardware... left-handed, of course (I could tell people it's a re-reverse Firebird).

its a tough question. I have actually everything I want or need...oh no, I have it. a remake of my main axe, but this time around, a GOOD version of it! angled headstock, ziricote neckback, same fretboard and inlay.

Graffiti62 said:
The only thing I'd do differently was put a TOM on it or a Gotoh 510 instead of the standard affair wraparound.

Actually, you'd want this bridge instead
wilkinson_products.jpg

also from Gotoh, 4th from the bottom.

I've been eyeing a 70's LP with P90s I saw for sale.  If it has to be brand new... I guess an ES-335

Lots of stuff that I can't make (yet!). Archtop guitars for sure, nice acoustics mostly. Can't imagine buying myself a premade solidbody electric. But anytime I go to guitar shops, the archtops really tickle my fancy. New nice ones, cheapies from the '60s, they are all a blast to play.

Funny you should ask, I just bought a Dean 12 string accustic,

I know what your thinking, Dean?  well I looked at a bunch and for the price it's a lot of fun and sounds great

I'd agree with Wyliee, and go for a vintage archtop.  If not that, then a Benedetto Cremora.  If not that, a Taylor Pallet guitar, I am goofy that way.  If not that, a Yairi Alvarez bari with the Series 600T MKII preamp in it.  This could go on for quite sometime so I will stop now.
Patrick

Alfang said:
Funny you should ask, I just bought a Dean 12 string accustic,

I know what your thinking, Dean?  well I looked at a bunch and for the price it's a lot of fun and sounds great

Dean made a guitar briefly that I really liked... the Sarasota.  Now they only make it in a 12 for some reason.  If they still made these in a 6-string it would be my pick...

sarasota_12.jpg

Hmm As I already have 4 solid bodies  A vintage Les Paul Custom ,Custom shop Strat, and Tele  and a neck thru I built I think Id go for a hollowbody.  The new Gibsons don't do a thing for me ... this would do nicely though:

http://www.prsguitars.com/hollowbody2/index.html

Back