If you practice 12 hrs a day for a decade, you MAY just be able to ->

stubhead

Master Member
-> get a job - playing in a pizza parlor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ghGwXwB8s&feature=related

or make it 16 hours a day for TWO decades - and you could be a wedding twanker!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXb4UY6T6dQ

:hello2:

Cagey, I couldn't agree more, Everytime I think I'm figuring out how to play I see something like that and think, " wow, I suck" I don't even know what else to say.

On the one hand, yeah, dudes with that kind of skill and talent and dedication do at times make me just want to put down my guitar and never pick it up again. 

But often seeing something like that inspires me to figure out/study/noodle until I manage to imitate something in there and once I integrate the little bit that I can conquer, I become happier overall with my playing.  The only competition I am engaged in here is against my own short attention span. Look, a puppy!

All true, of course. But, it just makes you sigh. The damn bar keeps getting raised until it seems you need a telescope to see it.

I wont even go there. After watching Scott groves guitar reviews and seeing how he plays i really want to just sell my guitar. I SUCK plain and simple. but i do it for fun and to relax.

I used to watch very good bassists and think hell i should stop trying.
Now i just keep telling myself i may never be them, but ill be damned if by the end of my life i haven't done something which i am proud of music wise.
Now i get hit by a bus tommorow morning im expecting, ill say my goodbyes now.  :sad:

Patrick from Davis said:
This one always made me shake my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfAOprj4ty4

I know that you have to torque the tuning on the guitar to do that song, but still...
Patrick

Whenever I hear those acoustic guitar virtuosi I can't help but notice how awful the piezos sound, especially with nylon strings.
(yes, it looks like he's using steel strings, but artists like Kaki King and the like; I just think, "why, that's a neat trick you've taught yourself, but you know you can get the same tone from a keyboard with a lot less hassle...)  :-\

The acoustic thing is more marketing than anything else, I think. Those tappy guys play with really low action and light strings, so the setup is almost like an electric. And there are millions of acoustic guitar owners, so the tappers are selling to them - they get to "be a part" of the acoustic virtuoso players. Without also being a part of those nasty, groupie-boinking drug-taking electric hippie rockers. I don't think the musicians necessarily think of themselves this way - they just like to make a racket, same as any normal person - but who buys Laurence Juber and Kaki King albums, anyway? It would be an interesting study.... throw in "Dawg" bluegrass while you're at it. "Into the Cauldron" by mandolin assassins Mike Marshall and Chis Thile is a great CD, but a little goes a long way. Now where'r mah groupies... i hope they dint use all the drugs....

Which reminds me, I had a League of Crafty Guitarists CD somewhere...

...And they used custom fanned-fret guitars (Babicz, maybe?). Which completes my fanned-fret trifecta.

I listen to these great players and I'm sadly not moved.  I just don't like the songs they are playing.  Sure - it's fantastic technique and all that.  But if the song does not get an emotional response, it's all for nothing really.

Now where did I put that AC/DC album...

Stub - thanks man.  I love these vids! Inspiration!  :guitarplayer2:

On a side note, you have to love how ppl can talk over the second guy's (Ted Greene) jam - as a musician, I'd be standing there slack jawed in utter disbelief.  But, I get that he's paid to be background music.  Pity talent and hard work don't always put bread on the table.  I grew up in New Orleans, so many talented ppl just playing music on the streets.

Ted's looks reminds me of Michael Bolton meets that Dr from House and Steve Vai.  In this more recent video, you can see his tele's neck has aged gracefully.  He is sight reading this number, however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEh4RDSBjpg&feature=related

angst is not the point. Emo illustrates that, you can have angst and still not be compelling.

fdesalvo said:
On a side note, you have to love how ppl can talk over the second guy's (Ted Greene) jam - as a musician, I'd be standing there slack jawed in utter disbelief.  But, I get that he's paid to be background music.  Pity talent and hard work don't always put bread on the table.  I grew up in New Orleans, so many talented ppl just playing music on the streets.
Unfortunately it's usually only musicians that care about what other musicians are doing.  If you want to capture the attention of the masses, you have to sing. 

Loomi said:
fdesalvo said:
Unfortunately it's usually only musicians that care about what other musicians are doing.  If you want to capture the attention of the masses, you have to sing.

What happens if you do both? Cthulhu leaves his green and slimy vaults?

Tipperman said:
Loomi said:
fdesalvo said:

What happens if you do both? Cthulhu leaves his green and slimy vaults?
Then you get the best of both worlds.  Everyone loves you!

Back