I'd love to get some ideas from the crowd on how to build out this body...

electric__steve

It should be shipping soon, and I'm underprepared for it.

Anyone have a preference or recommendation for TOM style bridges?

Anyone have thoughts on what pickups to use?  Okay, 3x humbuckers is kinda silly.  I was thinking a pair of P90s and a single humbucker at the bridge.  One volume, and two tone knobs.  I'm not sure if a Strat 5 way switch is the best choice, maybe a 3-way to select the P90 config, and some kind of other toggle to select P90s vs the Humbucker. 

Or maybe 2 humbuckers, with a P90 in the middle?

That's walnut over mahogany, a combo I'd been thinking about for quite a while.  I'm not completely sure how I plan to finish it, but I'm thinking about a light coat of red dye or toner to bring in a little brightness to it.

Attachments

• JM-1331a.JPG.jpg
    JM-1331a.JPG.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 83
As for a bridge, I’d suggest checking out the Babicz Full Contact TOM.  Great bridge.

Bill, tgo

https://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-tune-o-matic-bridges

Lbpesq said:
As for a bridge, I’d suggest checking out the Babicz Full Contact TOM.  Great bridge.

Bill, tgo

https://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-tune-o-matic-bridges

I second the babicz bridges, they have a great sound.

A shame the OEM TOM won't work with the bridge studs already drilled.  The regular Babicz TOM sure isn't cheap.

I vote 3 noiseless p90s, and one volume, one tone. 5 way switch of course, then maybe the remaining hole can be used to add a toggle to turn on the neck pickup in any position. Walnut is beautiful when finished in clear gloss.

Schaller megaswich E , gives you the option of playing the neck and bridge together . Any high quality p90 in a humbucker housing. Gibson has a great one ,I have it in two guitars , I think T94 not sure.
I'm doing the same basic layout in a jazzmaster but I did strat size pickups  . I'm using Lindy Falin 43's which is his p90 in that size .
I love your choice of woods and did a mahogany bodied walnut top telecaster not long ago.
I did tint  it slightly but once sprayed I really don't catch much of the tint .
I also did the Gibson bridge setup but with the stop tail piece ,I just got it from warmoth . Hey I had to make a reamer to fit the studs . If you don't want to do that have them install them for you . I think I would do that the next time . I was worried about damaging the finish , luckily all went well

Since you mention putting 2 x P90, a friend bought a PRS with triple P90 not too long ago and loves the tone combination of tones he gets from it.

Maybe worth trying since you've been adventurous enough so far to go for a triple Humbucker route ;-)

How about some Railhammers?

That way you could get humbuckers and ”P90”-type sounds from the same footprint.

J04108000001001-00-1600x1600.jpg

Huevor-90-B-Chrome-01.jpg

The real question is, what tones do you want from it.  Don’t use adjectives, give examples.

I'm building this because:  I like DIY projects and building things, so doing the finish, assembly, wiring, maybe even routing if necessary, that's all a fun project for me.

Thus I don't exactly have a goal to get a specific sound.  What I'd like is to get some sounds that I don't have on the three electric guitars I own:  1) An early 90s MIM Strat, SSS.  2) An early 70s Electra Les Paul clone with dual vintagey humbuckers.  3) A late 90s Danelectro U2 reissue, so dual lipstick pickups.  The Electra and Danelectro were both inherited from family members and I'd just as soon leave them stock. 

So the tone I want is any tone that I don't already have.  That's why I was thinking about P90s, and maybe a hot humbucker set up for coil splitting.  And with the HHH config, I figure I could easily have one of the three pickups be a drastically different model. 

Railhammer and Filtertron is a good idea too. 

Gold foils , that's interesting man . Jerry from Jerry's lefty guitars in Sarasota Florida told me after ( after I say ) purchased a few new collings from him that the prettiest most unique sound he's ever heard was a solid Collings with goild foil's .
Your guitar is so unique with its own personality , almost radical lol gold foils would be so cool . Lindy Fralin is very accessible, he may even pick up the phone if you call . Ask him about it

Steve I forgot to say Lindy fralin doesn't actually make a gold foil . He told me his big single has a very similar sound to a GF . Lollar makes a traditional gold foil in a humbucker size , I'm sure others do also .
I've tried quit a few different pickup companies . I love Lindy and Lollar over everything I've tried . Still  can't go wrong with Seymour Duncan

Mark have you tried mojo GF ? I'm asking because of this topic I'm going to order a all mahogany thineline telecaster to try GOLD FOILS :)
Mojo's are priced much better then lollar's , could be the way to go but have absolutely no experience with mojo . Your input would be appreciated

Mx481james said:
Mark have you tried mojo GF ? I'm asking because of this topic I'm going to order a all mahogany thineline telecaster to try GOLD FOILS :)
Mojo's are priced much better then lollar's , could be the way to go but have absolutely no experience with mojo . Your input would be appreciated
I have 2 completed builds with MojoTone pups and they are very nice. They also have really good customer service. I'm using 59 clone humbuckers and their quite P90. I also have a set of their 59 Low Output 59 clone going into a current build.

I have played a guitar with them and really enjoyed them. I still need to acquire some for a guitar I currently want to change. 

I haven’t played the Lollars.  I do have Lollar P90s in a guitar.

Personally, I’m going with Mojo.

Back