I'd Like To See Warmoth Make....

pabloman said:
Set neck options much like Precision Guitar Kits.  :guitaristgif:

Sure, 'Cause glue sounds better than wood.....
:laughing7:

In All seriousness though, I believe that the would be a small niche market amongst the serious W fans but not enough to warrant full scale production

Pablo has been here long enough to have heard why they sell parts and not kits and why they can't sell a body attached to a neck.  It's a borderline troll post.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Pablo has been here long enough to have heard why they sell parts and not kits and why they can't sell a body attached to a neck.  It's a borderline troll post.

Borderline troll post??  That's funny!
I guess maybe I should clarify my recommendation for those that are walkin around half cocked lookin to pounce. I apologize. I wasn't even remotely implying LP,V,SG or any other Gibbo type products. I just kind of figured we all knew that was off the table. Next time I won't give you that much credit. I also didn't imply Warmoth should sell a neck mated to a body. You made that part up completely on your own pal. I have been here long enough, so you are correct, I know and understand why they can't sell a guitar. I was just thinking of a set neck Velocity or Regal, maybe even a VIP. That's it . No more. No less. :dontknow:

I want a bare fret board on my next neck with the option to add those large, oblong Gecko bass side markers!  Those things are highly visible and look way cool. 

A Pro Conversion Scale neck in 21 fret trim instead of just 22.

I'm looking to spec out a Jazzmaster with a short scale, and would really like 21 frets, just like a standard JM.

Contacted Warmoth, only response is "22 frets is the only way they come". C'mon guys..............

BigSteve22 said:
A Pro Conversion Scale neck in 21 fret trim instead of just 22.

I'm looking to spec out a Jazzmaster with a short scale, and would really like 21 frets, just like a standard JM.

Contacted Warmoth, only response is "22 frets is the only way they come". C'mon guys..............
I have two, and there is PLENTY of meat on the FB so if you wanted to trim off the 22nd fret you could...

Yes, you could - fretboard thickness isn't the issue - but you'd end up with a nasty finish point at the heel end of a 25 1/2" scale neck fretboard. The 22nd fret crosses the neck meat about 1/8" back of the heel radius of a Strat neck heel. That means if you pull that fret and cut the overhang off, you end up with a bit of slot left in the center of the fretboard about 3/4" wide or so. It would look terrible. Oddly enough, on the shorter 24 3/4" conversion neck with a Strat heel, you could get away with it. There's no interference.

Cagey said:
Oddly enough, on the shorter 24 3/4" conversion neck with a Strat heel, you could get away with it. There's no interference.
:icon_thumright:

Yeah, I don't know about the 25.5", but with the Pro Con 24 3/4" it would still look alright.

Maybe I'm missing something here, or didn't clearly state what I meant. A standard JM has a 21 fret, 25.5" scale neck. I'm looking for a 21 fret, 24.75" scale neck.

According to Warmoth, the 22nd fret on a 24.75" conversion neck sits just over the end of the heel, and would therefore leave an exposed slot where the fret was extracted. Looking at the 24.75" on my Strat, I just don't see the interference, just as Cagey suggests. Maybe the JM neck is built differently?

In any case, I'm not really concerned about trimming the fret board. I have a well appointed woodworking shop and years of experience. My problem with this whole deal, is why should I have to go through all the hassles of redoing the heel, when all Warmoth would have to do is NOT install the 22nd fret and properly trim the fretboard during construction.

I'm sure it makes good sense to them, but I just don't see it.

Oh, and lest I forget: Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

And come to think of it, Gretsch style "Thumbnail" position markers would be a nice option....

Back