I'd Like To See Warmoth Make....

I'd like to see 5-piece necks, more quarter-sawn options, recessed hipshot baby grand rout (ok, I'm probably the only one that wants that)

Hbom said:
MikeW said:
2. Flat-mount bridge options like the American Standard hardtail bridge for the Mooncaster.
3. TV Jones pickup routing for the Mooncaster
4. 5-way Strat-style switch option for the Mooncaster

(Can you tell I'm planning a Mooncaster build?)

Just discussed these questions with W this week;
2. No can do. They can't do string through as the Mooncaster is a hollow body.
3. Probably can, I was told P90s would be no problem. I can't imagine that TV jones would be any different . Just call in the order.
4. Again, I would try to call in the order, shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Well, there goes the Mooncaster. I dislike all the other options available, especially the TOM and I'm not willing to do a custom built guitar without a bridge that I really want.

MikeW said:
Well, there goes the Mooncaster. I dislike all the other options available, especially the TOM and I'm not willing to do a custom built guitar without a bridge that I really want.
How about a Velocity? It's similar and can be chambered with a hardtail bridge.

For me it's a solid body Mooncaster with all the options of carved top, flat top, chambered, bridge options blah blah.

So, you're telling me

the-best-of-the-skeptical-3rd-world-kid-meme.jpg

nobody here has heard of the Suggestion Box category on the main menu screen?

Day-mun said:
So, you're telling me nobody here has heard of the Suggestion Box category on the main menu screen?
Sure, but that's official and this is a fun discussion thread.

Besides, I got some good ideas from the things the forum members posted about.

rgand said:
MikeW said:
How about a Velocity? It's similar and can be chambered with a hardtail bridge.

I've thought about a Velocity, but I think a single F-hole VIP may be the way I'm leaning now. I'm thinking along these lines for the body. Alder for the body wood instead of Mahogany, with a gloss black back and a Wenge/Ebony neck with white binding to match. I think that'll look pretty sharp. TV Jones pickups and a hardtail American Strat bridge. It'll be my jazz and rockabilly guitar. The issue is the same though; you can't get a hardtail bridge on an archtop body. I'm sure it can be done, but it's just not in any of the builders.

rgand said:
Day-mun said:
So, you're telling me nobody here has heard of the Suggestion Box category on the main menu screen?
Sure, but that's official and this is a fun discussion thread.

Besides, I got some good ideas from the things the forum members posted about.

:icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

I mostly just want more options on the current necks and bodies. To be blunt about it, Warmoth are the only parts company I know of which actually charges more for straight radius fretboards, and they're the only parts company I know of which insists you have contoured heels and laminate tops with binding on certain bodies.

I also would like to see the contoured heel changed from the ineffective and ugly slant to the Fender/ESP cut-corner style. Or if not a total replacement, offer both as options.

In terms of actual neck and body styles, 24.75" without the 'pro' construction, 24" with tiltback and/or 3-a-side headstocks and more 'obscure' bodies. You can pick up a top-rout, vibrato bridge Strat body anywhere. Warmoth are in a better position than any other parts company to cover things like the Toronado, carved top Jazzmasters, rear-rout versions of bodies that are otherwise only available top-rout, etc.

Basically, options. Options are only ever a good thing. If someone wants it, they can get it. If nobody wants it, nobody's hurt. Right now I just feel that Warmoth, despite being the biggest company of this type, is severely lacking key options.

Ace Flibble said:
Options are only ever a good thing. If someone wants it, they can get it. If nobody wants it, nobody's hurt. Right now I just feel that Warmoth, despite being the biggest company of this type, is severely lacking key options.

Not quite true. Whoever paid for the R&D is hurt. Any manufacturer is going to be looking to recoup its cost on any new offering they make, and it's crazy how features or products that sound simple can require so much research, time, and testing, (i.e. money) to realize.

Lots of good suggestions here though...particularly the TV Jones rout on the Mooncaster body.  :headbang:

double A said:
Lots of good suggestions here though...particularly the TV Jones rout on the Mooncaster body.  :headbang:

Is it at all possible to get a tremolo rout on a Mooncaster? I'd like to use the American Standard tremolo bridge and just pull it flat to the body if I can't get a hardtail rout. I know that opens a huge can of worms, especially for hollow bodies, but that setup is available for the VIP (hollow body with a tremolo rout for American Standard bridge is in the builder), and I think that would be a really cool setup on a Mooncaster.

You know, another thing that would be nice to see is a pickguard cutout option for the Bill Lawrence L-500 pickups. On my recent pickguard order I had to cut mine and it cost me extra to get a single coil cutout with no screw holes so I could enlarge it. Yes, you can use a standard humbucker cutout but then have to live with a 1/8" gap top and bottom. Even then, you still need to widen the cutout a little to fit the pickup.

double A said:
Ace Flibble said:
Options are only ever a good thing. If someone wants it, they can get it. If nobody wants it, nobody's hurt. Right now I just feel that Warmoth, despite being the biggest company of this type, is severely lacking key options.

Not quite true. Whoever paid for the R&D is hurt. Any manufacturer is going to be looking to recoup its cost on any new offering they make, and it's crazy how features or products that sound simple can require so much research, time, and testing, (i.e. money) to realize.

If you're talking about totally new body styles, okay, sure. But I mean things like, for example, 'Mooncaster' bodies only being available as a double laminate with binding, an 'option' forced upon all bodies allegedly to cover the seams of the laminate top. It would cost Warmoth absolutely nothing to offer solid colours/edges without binding, for instance, which would cover those lam top edges.
Same with things like conversion necks without the 'pro' truss rod. You've got the normal truss rods sat there, and the construction of conversion necks is no different from 25.5" scales, so there's no reaosn whatsoever why you can only get conversion necks with one type of truss rod. It shouldn't really have to be pointed out that this is basic stuff which every other parts company offers.
Hell, here's one I didn't mention before: tune-o-matics on Tele Deluxe and Tele Custom bodies. Again, every other parts company can handle this. Warmoth can do that bridge as a standard option on other Tele bodies. There's literally no earthly reason why it's not an option on Warmoth's Deluxe/Custom bodies. (And no, the pickguard doesn't interfere with the bridge, unlike the 2-point vibrato bridge; I know 'cause I've done it several times myself.)

I mean, in many cases we're literally just talking about already-programmed CNC sets Warmoth uses all the time. I don't expect Warmoth to start bending over for every random who wants a one-off body design or a unique headstock shape or whatever, but when it's a case of "you can get that on this and this body but not this body because erm, er... because reasons", it's just stupid.

Hey, thought of another as I typed this: Mustangs now have a fixed bridge option, why not Jaguars? It's far from unheard of for people to remove and fill in the vibrato on Jags and redrill for a stopbar, and it's something Fender does all the time. If Jazzmasters and every other body can take a fixed bridge, there's no reason for Jags to not have this option. Again, we're talking about something Warmoth does for other bodies all the time and which is done to this particular body style very commonly. It's just not an option Warmoth currently offers because erm, er... because reasons. While we're at it, why not have a swimming pool rout as an option there?

When I hear "custom build", I think "not restrained to replicating one basic design from fifty years ago."

OK, here's a good one!

I would like Warmoth to add options to supply 3mm thick 12" X 12" pieces of wood, maple, ash, mahogany etc etc to allow us to make good quality body matching control cavity plates to replace the horrible plastic ones.  :eek:ccasion14:

Problem is, without a great deal of trouble, it's difficult to make a wood cover look good. They tend to stand out more than the plastic ones, and often look more like a mistake than something desirable. It's kinda like wearing a toupée. You think you're doing a Good Thing, but everybody's laughing in the background.

Cagey said:
Problem is, without a great deal of trouble, it's difficult to make a wood cover look good. They tend to stand out more than the plastic ones, and often look more like a mistake than something desirable. It's kinda like wearing a toupée. You think you're doing a Good Thing, but everybody's laughing in the background.

Well these certainly look better than plastic. It's really a case of using the same shade wood as body and getting the colour the same when dying etc. Can't be that difficult. maybe I'll prove myself wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plcnkReIfag

Back