I think my Pot just stop working.

ZGOZZ

I am stuck on the volume is not going up or down, but just stuck on.
So its dead broken what ever?

Pots typically fail "open", so yeah. An open volume pot in a guitar could present as "stuck on". Depends where it failed. You could also have just lost the ground connection.

My money is on the lost ground connection.

Or a short between the two other connections.... that would do it if you have some messy wire in there.

I should think if his pot stopped working, he would NOT have the munchies.  And the glaucoma would relapse.

Grounds are all good.
Just stop working, and stuck open.
Was fine, and went and let my buddy connect it to his monster system, then it just stayed on..

What are really high quality pot, 500K, volume.
I am really not happy that the 1 I bought died, in heavy playing in 2 weeks.

ZGOZZ said:
What are really high quality pot, 500K, volume.
I am really not happy that the 1 I bought died, in heavy playing in 2 weeks.

These are the best pots you can get:

Clarostat%2053C_t.jpg

They're a Clarostat RV4 series milspec part. Tough to find - the link leads to the only place I know of. Downside to them for some users is they need set screw knobs. There's no splined shaft version available.

They're not cheap (~$13), but they're worth it if you want peace of mind. They're sealed, use real resistive elements, and are made of stainless. You want the 500K audio taper.

The problem with almost all pots these days is they use plastic resistive strips, which won't take much abuse. Often, soldering to the housing for grounds will either ruin or shorten the life of the part. Soldering to the pot's housing is never recommended, although even some OEMs do it. But, they're set up for it. You need a heavier iron that'll let you get on and off the pot in a hurry. For those of us who'd rather not worry use just ground lugs instead. There's a thread on them here. In the case of the milspec parts above, you don't have much choice but to use lugs due to the stainless housings.

Back