I think it's lacking output

I now wonder if in my/our rush to help, if what Wormbot is experiencing as "low output" is a pickup model difference. Maybe the wiring is all a -ok and there is just a big difference between the two Dimarzio pickup outputs/ voicing that is skewing perception ? I dunno.

Also, if you're comparing the output of 36th anni to something more high output, say a Railhammer Anvil or an SD Distortion, the output will be noticably less, because they are different creatures. More thought is like Johnny's raise the pup closer to the strings.

Edit: Just saw what spud posted. I have the 36th anni, and it does have less output. Took me a while to learn how to play with it. I'm happy with them now, but took me six months to get there. Didn't that guitar player in the Who say something like he picks out his amp first, then pickups then the guitar?

Yes I'm aware the 36th anniversary are vintage output pickups, but so is the Bluesbucker that I'm using in this test (see waveform difference in screenshot in opening post).

Yes, the Bluebucker is a 10k ceramic pickup, while the PAF 36th is 8.6k Alnico5. Both vintage output (BB = 224, PAF 36th = 285). But could that explain the quasi-total lack of attack/decay in the waveform for the PAF (outlined in yellow)?

The sustain and release parts seems to be similar, but the attack and decay parts are really louder on the Bluesbucker.

DiMarzio Bluesbucker

Left: Bluesbucker, Right: PAF 36th Bridge

1675703199723-png.59349

Yes I'm aware the 36th anniversary are vintage output pickups, but so is the Bluesbucker that I'm using in this test (see waveform difference in screenshot in opening post).

Yes, the Bluebucker is a 10k ceramic pickup, while the PAF 36th is 8.6k Alnico5. Both vintage output (BB = 224, PAF 36th = 285). But could that explain the quasi-total lack of attack/decay in the waveform for the PAF (outlined in yellow)?

The sustain and release parts seems to be similar, but the attack and decay parts are really louder on the Bluesbucker.

DiMarzio Bluesbucker

Left: Bluesbucker, Right: PAF 36th Bridge

1675703199723-png.59349
That low output makes me angry!

UPDATE:

Got the new pots delivered. Measures 470k and 460k respectively.

I wired it all up using simple series wiring, no push/pull, no split/parallel nothing. I used the 50s wiring because that's what I love.

While it was waiting for the new pots, I lowered the nut which was way too high, and adjusted the pickup heights like suggested in this thread.

The guitar's back to normal. The output is way louder than before. The clean channel breaks up way earlier too, which is a good sign it's working better than before.

Thanks for the support in this thread!

UPDATE:

Got the new pots delivered. Measures 470k and 460k respectively.

I wired it all up using simple series wiring, no push/pull, no split/parallel nothing. I used the 50s wiring because that's what I love.

While it was waiting for the new pots, I lowered the nut which was way too high, and adjusted the pickup heights like suggested in this thread.

The guitar's back to normal. The output is way louder than before. The clean channel breaks up way earlier too, which is a good sign it's working better than before.

Thanks for the support in this thread!
Hey! Way to go, that's what I like to hear!

What do you figure was the culprit btw?
I suspect bad pots, bad 4PDT switch or bad wiring diagram. Were the pups running in parallel? Maybe, but I followed the wiring diagram and it didn't state such thing.

Back