I think it's lacking output

wormbot

Hi all,

I've been playing my VIP running DiMarzio PAF 36th pup set for awhile now and today I decided to plug my Squier Tele which has a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the bridge position.

I noticed that the tele has maybe twice the output of the VIP. According to DiMarzio's website the Bluesbucker is lower output than the PAF 36th bridge pickup.

I'm wondering what could be happening. I noticed that the VIP lacks general balls when playing crunch and beyond. No bottom end whatsoever.

Here's a screenshot of the 2 guitars going into my recording interface. Same level used for both, same pick strength. The tele is first, then the VIP is last, circled in yellow. You can see a tremendous difference in level.

How should I go about debugging this?

1675703199723.png

Something in the wiring is leaking/partially blocking signal? Coldish solder joint, bad pot? Do the pickups test ok outside the harness?

I read 8.66k on the output jack for the bridge pickup. That's the advertised 8.6k on their website.

I read 8.66k on the output jack for the bridge pickup. That's the advertised 8.6k on their website.
Someone smarter hopefully will respond. Are the pickups adjusted super low from the strings?

Do you have any details on the wiring so there is more to go on?
Yes this is the wiring:
1675393229778-png.59303

Did you remember to ground the bridge? I looked at your pic thread and nothing wired to trem claw?

I am sorry, I am at a loss. Any number of things could be the culprit. Switch, push/pull etc. When I have no discernible answer I begrudgingly disconnect everything and rewire. Not fun, but likely to solve trouble. I do not generally like push pull pots. YMMV.

Next man up!-Spud

I am sorry, I am at a loss. Any number of things could be the culprit. Switch, push/pull etc. When I have no discernible answer I begrudgingly disconnect everything and rewire. Not fun, but likely to solve trouble. I do not generally like push pull pots. YMMV.

Next man up!-Spud
No worries Spud, thanks alot for guiding me through this.

I'll try connecting the bridge pup directly to the output jack to see how it goes.

I noticed that acoustically, my VIP is much quieter than the telecaster. Could this translate to lower output in the pickups?

Last post for today. (time zone differences)

I would start by bypassing the various switching and wiring the humbucker with the low output in a more direct manner to see what you get, and then work from there. Try also wiring it with the colors normally that go to hot and ground and the series link to see if that makes a difference.

I can not quite see how the switches are wired in detail compared to the diagram, but perhaps also check the jumpers etc.

No worries Spud, thanks alot for guiding me through this.

I'll try connecting the bridge pup directly to the output jack to see how it goes.

I noticed that acoustically, my VIP is much quieter than the telecaster. Could this translate to lower output in the pickups?
Ya eliminate all the variables and wire direct. Low acoustic output shouldn't make a difference.

Thanks stratamania,

I decided to rip everything off and start again with brand new CTS pots (non push pull) and a brand new 3 way toggle switch (standard one, not 4PDT).
I'll use the standard wiring scheme and let go of the coil split feature. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks stratamania,

I decided to rip everything off and start again with brand new CTS pots (non push pull) and a brand new 3 way toggle switch (standard one, not 4PDT).
I'll use the standard wiring scheme and let go of the coil split feature. We'll see how it goes.
I am sorry it had to come to this, but then, I just had to fully rewire a much simpler configuration 3 times as I ignored the obvious. It will work this time and you will be happy!

The wiring must be basically correct if you read 8.6k on the output jack. You should also check it the resistance changes when you activate the push-pull on the tone pot. The are only two things I can think of: 1) A problem with the tone control being somehow set to low resistance. 2) Bridge pickup height being set too low - It looks a bit low IMO. That could explain the difference if you are comparing the output to the bluesbucker in your other guitar which may be set closer to the strings.

Back