I take back everything bad I said...

stubhead

Master Member
Not about you goosebutts and A-hats, about the modern Allman Brothers band. Because of the wonders of sugarmegs.org, you can make very direct comparisons between the original fire of the first edition Allmans and the sometimes plodding-and-safe playing of the 2007, 2008 variety. Somebody has recently downloaded a whole pile of the band and from late '70 to Duane's death, there is some fearless and wide-open stuff... to my mind, a good jam band ought to play something every night that they've never played before - and will never play again. The first Mahavishnu Orchestra, the Dead of '69 to '74 and the Allmans set that barrier high. There are a handful of concerts of the first Allman Brothers where the playing is even better than the famous "Live at the Fillmore" album. Like the closing of the Fillmore, 6/27/71, like the famous New Orleans Warehouse concert of 9/16/71.

But listen to this one:
http://tela.sugarmegs.org/_asxtela/AllmanBrothersBand2010-03-15UnitedPalaceTheaterNYC.asx
They're playing more of the Dickey Betts compositions, I guess they're more comfortable now that he's retired. And that little run of concerts they've got all the fire in the world. Derek Trucks has grown all the way up, and he's clearly been taking some "jam" lessons from Warren Haynes. I always though Haynes best playing came when paired with Jimmy Herring in Phil Lesh's surprisingly not-Deadish band of 2001 - 2003, but they're both killing here. "Jessica"... if you do anything, let it load ahead and track that one down at 2:06. The next night of 3/16/10 rips too, has an "Elizabeth Reed" in which Haynes actually rivals Duane's best solo - just about any serious "Top Ten Solo" list had to include that puppy.  I am regressing to my boogie monster youth... :icon_biggrin:

Back