I practiced on poplar...is it similar to alder?

So, I practiced with poplar pieces, and got to the point where I like it (the bottom one). Originally I was gonna order a poplar body, so it was fine, but now it looks like I might be able to swing an alder body...but I cannot find any alder scrap. Will alder be similar to poplar in how it takes stain? I have finished a couple of guitars before, but this is my first time playing with stains.

Attachments

• finish.jpg
    finish.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 232
If you have a Woodcraft store near you, they usually have a pretty impressive selection of woods to choose from. Stuff you may not have ever even heard of. Problem with them is it's not "scrap", so it's gonna cost you. But, they'll certainly have Alder. They'll also have a lotta other stuff you'll want/need.

If you have any cabinet/furniture shops around you, they may have scraps, but Alder isn't really popular for those uses. It's not really an attractive wood when stained. Too plain. But, call around. You never know. If they don't have it, they'll almost certainly know where to get it.

I think it will behave similar to Alder, it won't need grain filling sand it to 320 grit,
It will absorb more stain on the end grain. Apply wipe on wipe excess off before it
dries.
Poplar can be greenish, if your going for that stain in the pic it will be fine.
Here's a thread from Toner should be of help.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=15729.0
Good luck.

Back