I got my (flamed) Koa neck... I am speechless!

rahimiiii

Well post office just dropped off my neck, and I was real anxious to see what I was getting. I mean I paid more than my first showcase koa neck spec for koa and I kept expecting that it'd be plain as hell koa (that would look no different from mahogany to boot, seen too much of those kind of koa) and I was pleasantly surprised to find this:

IMG_0019-1.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

I find flame figure pretty much throughout the whole neck, even though it doesn't seem as dramatic as I have seen on the net, it's still good, its shown wet to let the figure pop....

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Yea I think I will coat it with shellac and start the grainfilling process, any suggestions? should I use shellac then pumice or use stewmac colortone dark filler? Or should I just spray a coat of sanding sealer then colortone filler then shellac?

I want to use shellac as an enhancer as well as adhesion promoter... I don't like sanding sealer because it's got cloudy stuff in it that's going to make things less transparent.

The fretboard is ebony, abalone dot, ss6115 fret...

if you dont mind me asking , how much did that neck cost ya???? i want to use a neck like that for a future les paul build

THAT is a sweet piece of Koa Rahimiiii!!!!  Whatever you decide for the finish, I would hope that it will accentuate that fine flame!

sundin4prez said:
if you dont mind me asking , how much did that neck cost ya???? i want to use a neck like that for a future les paul build

350 total...

255 for exotic wood with ebony fretboard then 30 for nuts and 20 for stainless steel fret and about 40 for shipping. I asked for darker koa because back then when they had koa necks on showcase they were always those light koa (which looks really bad) and I was afraid to get those after spending this much on a neck. (they were selling for about 200 on showcase though)

Back