I did a 1/2 scallope today

big bob

I would love to give you guys the how to. but I can't post pics... others are having this problem too.
what's up?

big bob said:
max, that is just cr%p, why can't I upload direct?

Because it works a hell of a lot better to link pictures than to upload.

Worth noting, it's a lot nicer to see a picture show up in the text than to have to wait for it to load as an attachment when you go to open it.

still a little put out about needing to host at photobucket. but

did a 1/2 scallop, started with a saw to create a small groove, then increasing file sizes. now I will retape and move to sand paper. starting with 220, will go through to 600 then extra fine steel wool.
I like wood working. I did this while listening to the gator football game on the radio. It was a rout 63 to 3 but still fun.
th_P1010082.jpg

th_P1010084.jpg

th_P1010086-1.jpg

th_P1010087.jpg

th_P1010089.jpg

th_P1010090.jpg

th_P1010093.jpg

th_P1010095.jpg

big bob said:
Because the server change must've had some issues. Possibly read/write permissions weren't changed.
I've tried uploading too, and it didn't work. Maybe you read my tone wrong earlier, but I was just trying to help you find A way to show the pictures.

Max said:
big bob said:
Because the server change must've had some issues. Possibly read/write permissions weren't changed.
I've tried uploading too, and it didn't work. Maybe you read my tone wrong earlier, but I was just trying to help you find A way to show the pictures.

Nothing wrong with your tone.. I'm just old and chrochity. my bad not yours.

Looks like some nice work there.  I may have to try that on a spare neck in the future.

On the uploading thing, I couldn't either.  I even tried to update my avatar and it errored out.  It must be with that server roll they did.  Things may still be pointed toward a non-existent network share.

You are a brave man to do that scallop.  But then again, it seems like many of your projects are pretty ballsy.  Can't wait to hear this neck when it's ready to play!  :eek:ccasion14:

what tools were needed,files,etc other than the sandpaper,of course. I played another (full) scallop guitar last nite (the guy did it himself,but with a dremel,which i dont have) and am dead-set on taking to scalloping all my (non-bound) necks in the next couple of weeks. Ive got a couple of holiday shifts coming up (alone,12-hrs,bored silly)_ and plan to sawdust the heck out of my office floor..
:guitarplayer2:

I'd love to scallop my set-neck Mike Kelly too,but no way am I going to mess up that binding and inlays...grrr

jeffgtr said:
what tools were needed,files,etc other than the sandpaper,of course. I played another (full) scallop guitar last nite (the guy did it himself,but with a dremel,which i dont have) and am dead-set on taking to scalloping all my (non-bound) necks in the next couple of weeks. Ive got a couple of holiday shifts coming up (alone,12-hrs,bored silly)_ and plan to sawdust the heck out of my office floor..
:guitarplayer2:

I'd love to scallop my set-neck Mike Kelly too,but no way am I going to mess up that binding and inlays...grrr

just what is in the first photo. a coping saw needle files and a medium c shaped gouge. just go slow and make sure you have at least two layers of tape on the frets.
P1010086-1.jpg

hannaugh said:
You are a brave man to do that scallop.  But then again, it seems like many of your projects are pretty ballsy.  Can't wait to hear this neck when it's ready to play!  :eek:ccasion14:

this is the fourth one I've done, not really ballsy. I find the wood work relaxing. here is how it looks sanded
P1010097.jpg

P1010098.jpg

P1010096.jpg

P1010099.jpg

now I need to find some tru-oil for the scallop and get the headstock face and back sprayed black

Ah missed that before-got red x's for some of the pics...
nice work,indeed. hmm ill have to scrounge or buy some of the tools because I dont have any of those around at the moment..

rough idea of how long it took?

jeffgtr said:
Ah missed that before-got red x's for some of the pics...
nice work,indeed. hmm ill have to scrounge or buy some of the tools because I dont have any of those around at the moment..

rough idea of how long it took?

the length of a college football game, and maybe 2 hours of sanding.

jeffgtr said:
odd,dont they offer this?

yes warmoth will do a 1/2 or full scallop but only on certain models, the neck I just did has a wizard  contour and a thiner fret board so I went shallow. I don't think they can adjust the depth on their machine. I could be wrong.

hannaugh said:
You are a brave man to do that scallop.  But then again, it seems like many of your projects are pretty ballsy. 

Ya got bigger ones than I have Lance... Very nice work indeed  :headbang1:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Back