I am now Tubular Dude, dude

stubhead

Master Member
I just got a FedEx letter telling me that I am the second-place winner in the Guitar Player mag Super Satriani Giveaway! From last August, I can't even remember entering... I get a signed copy of Surfing with the Alien, a signed Satriani guitar strap but mostly a $250 Planet Waves/D-Addario gift certificate! :toothy10: Their cable kit looks cool except that FOUR DAYS ago I sent Becky & Bill Lawrence $124 for enough ends and cable to wire up my upcoming, ridiculously-complicated loop/delay/echo interstellar exploration thingamabob.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Cable-Station-Pedalboard-Cable-Kit?sku=339123
Ye ol' Warmoth Mustang may get some of those Planet Waves locking tuners, I went with Grovers a few years back not knowing that Grover had sold out their heritage, morals, reputation and future business to the Asian-manufacturing bug - them commie Grovers are now making suspicious crunching noises.... I'm pretty sure I won't be scoring a $50 guitar cord cause I still have at least 50 feet of cable and a box of Switchraft ends, but hey the price is right. Holy Cow, I never win anything, now that my luck has changed I better go enter a bunch of stuff - I kinda wish I'd won the 1st prize Satriani guitar, then I'd need to buy some more stuff to go with it. Wanna buy a guitar strap? :toothy12:

Grats!  :eek:ccasion14:

The signed stuff will be worth money on the 'bay if you don't want it... as for the $250, sounds like you're set for instrument and patch cables, but you could get some nice mic or speaker cable... or a tuner or something.    :dontknow:

Congrats!  :icon_thumright:
I remember when I won a candy because I knocked down all thins in a "Juline Party" we have here in Brazil (everybody wearing country boys/girls costume, candies used to eat in farms, etc)
That's ALL I remember to won :(

That's pretty awesome.....Satch is pretty cool dude, alot shorter than I imagined. I met him in '98 in Hollywood. He signed an original Surfin' With The Alien t-shirt I bought in like '89...

It's fun to win stuff!  While I am usually not successful, I enter every guitar related sweepstakes or drawing I come across that does not require me to buy anything, or subscribe to something.  I did end up on the winning end of one thing though.  My sister is worse than I am and enters every contest she can find wether she wants the prize or not, and when that Johnny Cash "Walk the Line" movie came out, she won an acoustic guitar with hardshell case and immediately sent it my way.  I was able to overlook the fact that Cash himself never played a guitar like the one she won.  And while it's just an Epi EJ-200,  I do now have an acoustic that I don't mind taking to the beach, or camping without worrying what will happen to it.  Viva free stuff!!!!

guitlouie said:
It's fun to win stuff!  While I am usually not successful, I enter every guitar related sweepstakes or drawing I come across that does not require me to buy anything, or subscribe to something.  I did end up on the winning end of one thing though.  My sister is worse than I am and enters every contest she can find wether she wants the prize or not, and when that Johnny Cash "Walk the Line" movie came out, she won an acoustic guitar with hardshell case and immediately sent it my way.  I was able to overlook the fact that Cash himself never played a guitar like the one she won.  And while it's just an Epi EJ-200,  I do now have an acoustic that I don't mind taking to the beach, or camping without worrying what will happen to it.  Viva free stuff!!!!

Same here, but that's how I got to meet Satriani. i won a radio contest. Which was actually to hang out with Van Halen at the premier of VH3 when Gary Cherone was singing. And while in LA the day we arrived Satch was having a signing at Tower records and got tickets to the show at Hof Blues that  night. Haven't won a thing since.....

Lots and lots of strings for quite a while!  :doh:
But that's boring, so get something better.

I was on a classic rock radio show once to do a trivia contest... I lost but got some consolation prizes... a Velvet Revolver CD and a George Harrison DVD.  I think the question I lost on was "Who played the solo on Beat It?"  I said Slash, the other guy said EVH.  :(  I forget what first prize was, probably concert tickets or something.  That's the closest I've come to winning cool stuff.  :p

dbw said:
I was on a classic rock radio show once to do a trivia contest... I lost but got some consolation prizes... a Velvet Revolver CD and a George Harrison DVD.  I think the question I lost on was "Who played the solo on Beat It?"  I said Slash, the other guy said EVH.  :(  I forget what first prize was, probably concert tickets or something.  That's the closest I've come to winning cool stuff.  :p
I almost made a "duh" reply to this, but I realized MJ isn't really #1 in any guitar community.
Thriller's a great album; I picked a vinyl copy a couple of years ago, sounds great. I like to say that's as much as I could support him.

Back