Hypothetical question

My son is a huuuuuugggeee Monty Python fan, and has made his own gloves from his own chain mail that he has forged by twisting wire around dowels then clipping them with the tinsnips to produce small rings.  He'll sit there watching TV just snippin away & then he makes all of this stuff. 

I don't know that I'd want a strap made of it though, my guitar case is already heavy enough from having spare tools, strings, and pickups in it.  I don't need to add to it by adding 3-5 lbs more weight for just a guitar strap.

My husband is always telling me he can make maille out of all these different metals (example: he has green titanium that he sometimes uses), and then I always ask if he can get mithril.

It'd have to go on something pointy with a floyd.

I'm thinking the issue is weight more than anything else.  How much would it weigh and how much space would it take up? 

hannaugh said:
My husband is always telling me he can make maille out of all these different metals (example: he has green titanium that he sometimes uses), and then I always ask if he can get mithril.
We'd settle for adamantite.  :laughing11:

Sorry, but I wouldn't... I guess...
Two things could change it:
1) I get in a metal band
2) This look way cooler than the image in my head...

But I think it could sell a lot to the Metal guys

If it was a leather strap with maille over it, he could do it in aluminum, and it would hardly weigh anything extra. 

hannaugh said:
stubhead said:
Hey Hannaugh - are you going to file your teeth into points and get some devil-tats too? Pictures, plz. :hello2:

Ha, no.  My husband's hobby is making chainmaille, he's just looking for new projects.

Sounds like a lot of work. Seems like a Chainmaille strap would cost a lot of $$$ to offset the cost of all those hours of labor. :dontknow:
I had a clear (vinyl, I think) strap back in the 80's that I just loved but the end ripped off and I've wanted a replacement ever since but can't find another just like it anywhere.  :(

hannaugh said:
If it was a leather strap with maille over it, he could do it in aluminum, and it would hardly weigh anything extra. 

Weight and comfort would be the issue for me. Are you and your hubby thinking of doing a "Dangerous" and making some, for us folks on this forum? :icon_thumright:

If there is a genuine possibility of one selling, I think he would make one.  It all depends on how much he would have to charge for labor, he's not sure how long it would take.  Some weaves are more difficult than others, so the weave would play a role.  A dragon scale strap would look awesome, but it would be expensive because that weave is time consuming. 

But yes, I think he would take commissions from the board if there was interest.

Depending on the price and look i might want one. Of course i like looking unconventional. Chain maille and the blues would go perfect together.  :icon_thumright:

hannaugh said:
If there is a genuine possibility of one selling, I think he would make one.  It all depends on how much he would have to charge for labor, he's not sure how long it would take.  Some weaves are more difficult than others, so the weave would play a role.  A dragon scale strap would look awesome, but it would be expensive because that weave is time consuming. 

But yes, I think he would take commissions from the board if there was interest.

To be fair with you, I don't think anybody will give a big YES answer without know how much it would be...
He should:
1) think how many chains he gotta do, etc, and make a estimate of how much would cost.
2) build one to knowexactly how much it will cost.

There is a difference if it cost US$50 or US$300 on how people are interested in buying... ( I don't really have idea how much is a fair price as an abroader, is just random numbers)

I'm SO in for this if it happens.  :headbang:
Should I PM you for a "custom quote"?

I'm a bit of a tinklerer myself so I have lots of questions.

I assume that due to the nature of the material, it would not be adjustable?
We can choose between weaves and such?

To repeat, I am down!
I wanted to get a 2X12 made by MetalMan, but I spent that money on the Rhoads kit I got...Thread forthcoming...
If the price is right, I am IN for the WIN!

Okay, I'll see if I can get him to make a prototype and then we'll post pictures and a price quote.  And yes, if he were to start making these for forum members, you could definitely choose the weave, leather color, even the color of the rings if you wanted a color other than regular silver... like gun metal or something.

hannaugh said:
Okay, I'll see if I can get him to make a prototype and then we'll post pictures and a price quote.  And yes, if he were to start making these for forum members, you could definitely choose the weave, leather color, even the color of the rings if you wanted a color other than regular silver... like gun metal or something.

righteous.

GoDrex said:
have him make it out of mithril  :laughing7:

Mithril straps give a +4 to Awesomeness but you incur a -1 penalty to Dexterity when wearing one (for any D&D fans).

NLD09 said:
Depending on the price and look i might want one. Of course i like looking unconventional. Chain maille and the blues would go perfect together.  :icon_thumright:

Chainmaille would go best with Death Metal, wouldn't it?  :headbang1:

I'd totally use one if it was over leather or something, so as to not destroy my shoulder.  I could then call my gecko a valiant warrior.

Back