Hybrid Tele and Neck....have arrived - Have gotten THERE!

rauchman

Greetings,

Was originally going to go with white, but couldn't make it work.  Tried a variety of staining colors, but wound up with this.  Still have some TruOil layers to go, but.... getting there

Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Front.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Z1nKc3Q/Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Back.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/829s5Bd/Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Front.jpg

rauchman said:
Greetings,

Was originally going to go with white, but couldn't make it work.  Tried a variety of staining colors, but wound up with this.  Still have some TruOil layers to go, but.... getting there

Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Front.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Z1nKc3Q/Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Back.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/829s5Bd/Warmoth-Hybrid-Tele-Getting-there-Front.jpg
That is really cool work :icon_thumright: Loving the contours on the back and the color.

Thank all.  Had originally ordered an all roasted maple 25.5" Warhawk neck, which will now be going on my Strat.  Glad I went with this neck for this guitar.  Wanted to get a little LP'ness in the sound, hence the 24.75" neck.  The body color went through so many versions...white, then some orange, red, yellow...  After sanding back, there was still some coloring from the dye and went with a brownish that seems to work.  Looking forward to getting this done and actually playing it.

Well, the guitar is now playable, and the wiring nightmare is over!

I wound up using the original Warhawk all roasted maple neck I had purchased when I purchased the body.  I LOVE the look and feel of the Tiltback Strat neck with ebony board, but wow, massive tuning issues when using the trem.  Aaron had mentioned I would run into that, but of course, I'm one of those people that learns not to get burnt by sticking my hand in the fire.  I'll just have to build another guitar for that neck!

Hybrid-done-1.jpg

Hybrid-done-2.jpg

Hybrid-done-3.jpg

Very happy with the way the electronics came out, and also the aesthetics of the guitar.  The color of the finish started as white to fill in the grain lines.  Then sanded off the sealer, and the body went through orange, yellow, blue, black.  Each time, the wood would become a little more tinted, until the current color started coming out.  I thought it looked good and just ran with it.  I used Tru Oil, and thought it came out very well, aside from my own idiocy in scratching up the finish here and there when installing the pickguard...ughhhh.

The neck is playable.  All I've done to it so far is mount the LRS nut, sanded the back of the neck with 1500, and a little burnishing, and of course the Hipshot tuners.  The neck has SS6150 frets.  Previous guitar I made had SS6115 frets.  I like both.

Pickups
Bridge - Thornbucker +
Middle - Dimarizio Cruiser
Neck - Thornbucker

I have to say, the Thornbuckers are absolutely delicious to hear.  They have a richness that is beautiful.  Also, when split, they sound outstanding.  When splitting, I'm using a trick from the Fralin site, about using a resistor.  Fralin's resistor is 7k, but I wound up going with a 6.8k from StewMac since they had a bunch of other stuff I needed.  There is no volume drop when splitting due to the resistor. Resistor link https://www.fralinpickups.com/2020/04/19/5-push-pull-pot-mods-you-should-know/

Controls...

Pot 1 (closest to bridge ) = Bridge Vol / Pull up to split to single coil
Pot 2 = Ton / Pull up to switch from .047 to .022 tone cap (I may try something else here, as there's not much of a tonal difference when the tone is on 10)
Pot 3 = Neck Vol / pull to split to single coil

5 way switch
1 - Bridge (hb or sc)
2 - Bridge / Middle (can use bridge hb or sc)
3 - Bridge / Neck (This seems to be the magic zone.  Can get 4 different parallel tones here)
    Bridge HB / Neck HB
    Bridge SC / Neck HB
    Bridge HB / Neck SC
    Bridge SC / Neck SC (does a really nice version of the Tele in between sound)
4 - Mid / Neck (can use neck hb or sc)
5 - Neck (hb or sc)

I'm surprised how good the SC sounds are.  Using the resistor gives a boost in output to these tones.  They are not wimpy.  I have the best parts of a Les Paul, Strat and Tele all in one guitar.  The sounds are really good.  Thanks to @JohnnyHardtail for recommending the Suhr pups.  Truly outstanding.

All in all, very happy with how this came out.  I think my other guitars are going to be jealous.

Congratulations on getting the build done...

On the resistor thing the link posted goes to a page about coil splits but I did not see anything about resistors or have I missed something?

stratamania said:
Congratulations on getting the build done...

On the resistor thing the link posted goes to a page about coil splits but I did not see anything about resistors or have I missed something?

Thanks for pointing that out.  I fixed the link above.  You can also use here... https://www.fralinpickups.com/2020/04/19/5-push-pull-pot-mods-you-should-know/

Using a Push Pull pot, you use the resistor when the split is activated.  The resistor limits some of the signal of the split coil vs totally shutting it off.

To all, thanks for the compliments.  Far from perfect, but happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for the link it makes sense now. I wondered if I was misreading something before for a moment. Did you try the Thornbucker + split without the resistor for comparison as a matter of interest?

stratamania said:
Thanks for the link it makes sense now. I wondered if I was misreading something before for a moment. Did you try the Thornbucker + split without the resistor for comparison as a matter of interest?

I did not.  T'was interesting though.  When I first tested it, I was running through my half stack with some effects, including compression.  With compression, I wasn't seeing much of a volume difference between split and full.  Also had some great Strat and Tele in between tones, especially with gain.  Last night, I plugged into my practice amp, Boss Katana, and there I was seeing some volume difference.  Not major, but some.  Also, the in between Strat and Tele tones weren't as strong/pronounced.  I guess it could also be said that the Katana just doesn't sound as good as a true tube amp.

Overall though, still very happy with the versatility of this setup.  Both the cleans and running gain have a lot of great tones.  And those Thornbuckers sound fantastic.  This is my first experience with the Wilkinson VS100.  That, along with the LSR nut and locking tuners are proving to be a very stable tuning setup.

Still tweeking things like pickup height and also need to fine tune the intonation, but just a really really nice guitar.

Sounds like you are having fun with the guitar which is the most important...!

I remember Pete Thorn had a video a few years back where I commented what are those pickups as they stood out to me and he replied along the lines of something under development, they were the Thornbucker prototypes.

Back