Humbucker Decision fro New Build

JohnL

Last year I built my first guitar, a Tele, with Fralin Blues Special pups. I really like the playability of the guitar and the Fralin pups are very well balanced - not a vintage Tele sound, but I like them a lot.

So, this year I am planning to build a 2 humbucker guitar: mahogany Tele body with flame maple cap, flame maple Tele neck with rosewood fretboard.

Now, on to the decision with the pups. I have a PRS S2 Singlecut with PRS #7 pups, and a LP Studio with 57 Classic and BB Pro pups. I think I want the new pups to be closer to the LP Studio.  I play mostly classic rock and some blues.

I'm tempted to go with Fralin again since I like the Tele pups and I think his quality is good. I've listened to many reviews/demos on line, but it's mostly confusing after a while.

Any thought are appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0844.JPG
    DSC_0844.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0845.JPG
    DSC_0845.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 226
When you say that you want it to be more like your Paul with its 57 Classic and BB Pro, I interpret that as you want straight-up PAF tone. By far the best set I have played for that sound is the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set. They nail it.

Yes, pure PAF. I have thought of the SD Seth Lovers as well as the SD Pearly Gates.

When I put in my info on the SD pup selector (more versatility) I get PRails, Jazz/SD, and 59/Custom 5.

I get confused quickly.

JohnL said:
...Why do you like the Shur?

He knows about good sound and he has years of experience having worked with Pensa, Fender, Bradshaw etc. I don't have the Thornbuckers but I think they will be good like his other pickups and unlike their guitars, Suhr pickups are not expensive. Another option similar to Thornbuckers are the Duncan Saturday Night Special set. DiMarzio have half a dozen different pickups named PAF, all variations of the same thing.

JohnL said:
Thanks, I'll take a look. Why do you like the Shur?

I like how they sound and Suhr has good quality and the pickups are reasonably priced for that quality.

I saw a demo of the Shur and I liked the sound, I also like the Fralin Pure PAF, but they are a bit more costly.

Back