Hum question

CrackedPepper

Scenario:  2 HB/2 Vol/2 Tone/3 way

I am using these soldering lugs:

EP-4968-000.jpg

My cavity is lined with foil.  I used soldering lugs to connect each pot:  NV --> BV --> BT --> NT

All grounds go to NT via soldering lugs except the pickup grounds.  They are grounded via lugs to their respective pickups.

I am still getting hum.  Hum increases when I touch the strings and/or bridge. 

What am I missing?

I'm not sure what your missing, Seems a bit strange that you get more hum when you touch the strings, usually touching the strings or bridge will quiet the hum.
Make sure that you have a central grounding point, this is 1 spot where all grounds connect, this prevents a ground path looping arround and possibly inducing unwanted noise back into the system.
My only other thought is that you've got some bad solder joints or bad connection with your lugs

The first thing I'd check is if you mistakenly wired the jack backwards.

CrackedPepper said:
All grounds go to NT via soldering lugs except the pickup grounds.  They are grounded via lugs to their respective pickups.

You grounded the pickups to themselves? That could be your problem. They need to be tied to the common running everywhere else as well.

Cagey said:
CrackedPepper said:

You grounded the pickups to themselves? That could be your problem. They need to be tied to the common running everywhere else as well.

Sorry I typed that wrong - I meant they were lugged to their respective pot shafts.  The shafts are all tied to the common.  Anyway, the jack was the problem.  <headslap>  :tard:

CrackedPepper said:
drewfx said:
The first thing I'd check is if you mistakenly wired the jack backwards.

This was the problem - thanks drexfx!

Glad it was easy.

And trust me, you aren't the only person to do that.

Back