Let's talk about grounding

psylabs

Apologies if this has been discussed too much elsewhere.  I've found related information, but nothing has quite solved things.  The problem continues for, so...

I've built two teles, and I think I'm doing something wrong with how I ground them.  The problem manifests in the same way in both guitars: the guitar gives off a hum (very much like 60 cycle hum), but only when I'm not touching the strings.  As soon as I touch the strings, the hum stops immediately, until I release the strings again.

This makes me assume I'm not successfully grounding the strings.  My question, then, has two parts:

1. Am I right? Does this problem have to do with string grounding?
2. What's the proper way to do the build so I don't get this problem?

The two builds I've done where this happened are both teles.  In both cases, I grounded (or tried to ground) the strings by sandwiching a wire between the bridge and the body, then running that wire into the control cavity, where I soldered it to the back of the volume pot with the other ground wires from the circuit.

In general I'm not thrilled with my approach to grounding in these guitars...I've got all these wires that end in the pool of solder on the back of the volume pot, and I feels/seems kinda janky, with no good mechanical bond there and solder not sticking great on the pot backing.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

You're not doing anything wrong.  What you are hearing when you *don't* touch the strings is your body (which is picking up 60Hz hash from lights, wiring, etc) radiating EMI into your pickups.  When you touch the strings, you ground your body, which discharges all the electricity on your body, which means your body no longer emits EMI, which means suddenly the guitar is quiet.

For further experimentation, plug in the guitar, get it humming nicely, then set it down and walk away from it.

Trevor, I think you just saved my a lot of crazy-time trying to re-ground all of my humming guitars - I have the same issue as the OP, and thought my soldering skills were just really bad...maybe that's not the case!

Back