How's about wiring up this beast

stubhead said:
And all that, just to play "Tequila" for 50 bucks on a Saturday night to a crowd who're more interested in getting hammered and picking up each other's wives.... :sad1:
:laughing11:

Eric, that is a hot bass, but that wiring would be a headache...surgery is much easier.  :icon_biggrin:

DocNrock said:
Eric, that is a hot bass, but that wiring would be a headache...surgery is much easier.   :icon_biggrin:
Um...

"Did I cut the wrong wire?"
"Let's close it up and see if it works."
"Nope, pop that cover off, and we'll see where we messed up, then try some new stuff"
"Not today, just leave it how it is until tomorrow"

I DO NOT want to see that in a surgical context  :laughing7:

Max said:
DocNrock said:
Eric, that is a hot bass, but that wiring would be a headache...surgery is much easier.   :icon_biggrin:
Um...

"Nope, pop that cover off, and we'll see where we messed up, then try some new stuff"

Knowlage and experience are gained thru trial and error...... :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
DocNrock said:
Um...

"Whoops, I switched around the wrong wires... now BOTH pickups aren't working"

Max said:
DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
DocNrock said:
Um...

"Hmmmm, let's see.....ahhhhh-uhhhhmmmm, nurse can you look up heart bypass on Google please"..... :toothy12:

DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
DocNrock said:
Um...

"Hmmmm, let's see.....ahhhhh-uhhhhmmmm, nurse can you look up heart bypass on Google please"..... :toothy12:
"Crap... internet's not working"

Yup.  It was pretty insane.  I bought it third hand and the previous owner was nice enough (very generous) to make me a CD with about 20 tracks of different settings.  He'd describe the settings at the beginning of each track.  The first month or two I owned it, I would just listen to the CD and copy the settings.  The bass also included a 27 page schematic of all the wiring.  The bass had the original FBass electronics in it plus an Alembic Q filter, separate volume controls for each set of electronics and the aftermentioned stereo/mono combinations.

Shortly after I bought it, I was changing batteries and plugged back in to hear a pop and dead silence.  Imagine my horror when I opened the rear rout cover and saw that rat's nest.  I thought I had a very expensive boat oar.  Fortunately for me I found a tech in Seattle (ended up being Trey Gunn's tech) who was able to work through it for me.  It ended up being the 9volt battery connector wire..... whew!  I ultimately had another tech engineer me a floor power supply and multicore cable to run power and signal on one line.  I sold it to have a custom Bee Bass made, which was ultimately sold after I made my Gecko 6.

Wyliee said:
Yup.  It was pretty insane.  I bought it third hand and the previous owner was nice enough (very generous) to make me a CD with about 20 tracks of different settings.  He'd describe the settings at the beginning of each track.  The first month or two I owned it, I would just listen to the CD and copy the settings.  The bass also included a 27 page schematic of all the wiring.  The bass had the original FBass electronics in it plus an Alembic Q filter, separate volume controls for each set of electronics and the aftermentioned stereo/mono combinations.

Shortly after I bought it, I was changing batteries and plugged back in to hear a pop and dead silence.  Imagine my horror when I opened the rear rout cover and saw that rat's nest.  I thought I had a very expensive boat oar.  Fortunately for me I found a tech in Seattle (ended up being Trey Gunn's tech) who was able to work through it for me.  It ended up being the 9volt battery connector wire..... whew!  I ultimately had another tech engineer me a floor power supply and multicore cable to run power and signal on one line.  I sold it to have a custom Bee Bass made, which was ultimately sold after I made my Gecko 6.

So, in other words...it was too much goomba.  :laughing7:

Like I said, surgery is easier.  :icon_thumright:

Wyliee said:

That's pretty intense, when a bass has to have an accompanying cd to help learn how to use it.... :doh:

Whenever I see guitars or basses with a lot of switches and fun electronics I get excited about the tonal flexibility then remember how gigging musos would hate the Gretsches they bought and having the guitars just die because of a switch or bad connection  *somewhere*.

Don't forget MidiRose... this is one of the craziest builds EVER. http://www.exit45.com/VaxV

Rose, I hope you don't mind me stealing your pics to share :)

It's got MIDI, Variax, sustainiac, piezo, and magnetic, and onboard wireless  :eek:

image149.jpg

image153.jpg

A. Variax Selector Knob
B. Mag Pups Volume & Tone
C. Variax Volume
D. Variax Tone
E. 5-way Pickup Selector
F. Vax/ Mag Pups Selector
G. Sustainiac Harmonic/Mix/Normal
H. Variax Pwr On/Off
I. Sustainiac enabler
J. Cordless Pwr On/Off