How/where to install a Kahler?

newpatch

Hi,

Does anyone know where to install a kahler on the guitar body? Warmoth puts the holes for the floyd but not the kahler, so where do you mark the mounting points to install this tremolo?

I'm also thinking if I order the neck and body and ship them them the tremolo (2300 pro) could they drill the holes for the tremolo.

newpatch

Warmoth used to offer the option of routing for a kahler flat mount.  You might want to call them and see if it is still available as a custom option...

Keyser Soze said:
Warmoth used to offer the option of routing for a kahler flat mount.  You might want to call them and see if it is still available as a custom option...
+1

Yes...I also read that somewhere, but I'm trying to find the mounting instructions as far as the distance from the nut so that it intonates properly....

newpatch

Stew Mac has a calculator, but if you tell them what type of Kahler you're installing, they could drill the holes in the right place, without an upcharge, I think.

the website says that they will do the route. depending on how tight a fit the route is my first guess would be that you just drop it into the route and make your own holes  :dontknow:

Finch said:
the website says that they will do the route. depending on how tight a fit the route is my first guess would be that you just drop it into the route and make your own holes  :dontknow:

it's not a route per sey, just a few holes kahlers are flat mounted

The stud mount version (2200 series) does not require a route, the 'flat mount' (2300) version does need a special route for the springs.

Warmoth will route for the vintage style kahlers...2300 series.

When you go to mount the kahler, place the template directly over the mount hole.  It lines up almost perfect.

What I did to make sure it was centered, was to completely center the saddles on the whammy.  I then placed a small marker on the body where the line of intonation should be.  Placing on  the template, then the whammy on the template by lining up the bolt holes, I then double checked the saddle alignment with this mark.  Lined up perfect.  With the saddles in the middle position, there was plenty of fore and aft movement for final intonation setup.

If you need a template...I have several extra. 

Do you have the whammy already??

I don't have the tremolo yet....but I juat want to make sure if I go that route, I can....

newpatch

newpatch said:
I don't have the tremolo yet....but I juat want to make sure if I go that route, I can....

newpatch

kahler makes some cheaper 7000 series too.  Made in asia...Routes may be a little different.  I would call kahler and see.  they were very helpful to me.  I think W will only route the 2300 series...this is top of the line for kahler...the support folks at kahler are reall good and respond to email

there are cheaper ones on ebay...make sure...
Antoehr tip...use a Floyd locking nut...the ones from Kahler SUCK!

mine is black
DSC00146.jpg

Keyser Soze said:
The stud mount version (2200 series) does not require a route, the 'flat mount' (2300) version does need a special route for the springs.

sorry, you're wrong. the 2200 needs routing too. I have that trem on 2 guitars, and believe me, I had to rout.

@DMRACO: sorry, thats not true aswell, the 7000 series is made in the USA, but they are assembled by a machine, not by a human being.

the routs of a 2000 and the 7000 series, are equal! the springassembly still is the same, its just the way of fixing the bridge to the body (screws vs studs).

@dangerousr6: why? the kahler is b y default a better design; more adjustment for your stringspacing and intonation, easier and better way to string, you can lock it down within 5 seconds... I don't know why a floyd is better or used more often.

Like that one famous guy who uses Kahlers.. I can't think of his name right now..

Does anyone have a list of people who use floyd's?

EDIT - That was for Peter's last comment towards Doug. It would seem the general guitar public likes Floyd's more.. so that does say something.. doesn't it?

DMRACO, that's a sweet guitar, kind of like what I want to build.....That Steve Vai crossroads guitar..

How is that kahler? probably silky smooth on the dives and pull ups..

Years ago I tried a charvel model 6 when they came out, around 1990's. All I could remember was feeling that tremolo, like butter. That guitar felt amazing. Years later I still remember my first impression. But of course it didn't help having a crappy guitar and trying a "real" guitar at the time..

I have 2 guitars with licensed floyds and I'm trying to go with something that sits on the guitar to allow it to resonate more without having to cut wood out of the guitar.

newpatch

Orpheo said:
Keyser Soze said:

@DMRACO: sorry, thats not true aswell, the 7000 series is made in the USA, but they are assembled by a machine, not by a human being.

thanks...just going by what the tech at Kahler told me.  It may have changed.  It has been two years since we spoke.  Just glad too see that are back in business.

Luke said:
Like that one famous guy who uses Kahlers.. I can't think of his name right now..

they were bing in the 80s...Glan and KK of Judas Priest, Phil Collin (def lep), Mick Mars, and many more.

today you will still see Glen and KK, Jerry Cantrell from AIC, Glen Drover (megadeath), kerry king of slayer.

Also starting to see them as stock units on new guitars....

Last time I defend you..  :laughing7: 

but my point is, there are many different styles, and they all have an appeal. That being said, I don't have a floyd, and I don't plan on it as of now, if I'm honest.

Back