How to Tie Your Shoes

Cagey

Mythical Status
I'm not kidding, this is real, and it works. Found it inadvertently while reading about stringing guitars...

[youtube]zAFcV7zuUDA&feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

Now I know why my laces were using the stronger form of a knot. Although I play guitar right-handed, being left-handed I must have stumbled on that knot inadvertently as an adaptation of what I was shown.

Interesting. I've got a semi-lefthanded buddy I'll have to ask about it. I'm right-handed and have been doing it wrong since I was about 3 or 4. I had the same problem he did - nice shoes, but the damned things wouldn't stay tied, and had those round laces. I had to mess with it for several minutes to make sure I got it down, and I'll probably have to think about it every time I tie shoes for the next 20 years, but it definitely works.

Looking at the knot, turns out it's a "square knot" with loops.

Cagey said:
I'm not kidding, this is real, and it works. Found it inadvertently while reading about stringing guitars...

[youtube]zAFcV7zuUDA&feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

I hope your proud of yourself. You've got a 65 year old guy sitting here trying to relearn how to tie his shoes. (G) What's next, ya gonna tell me that my belt should feed into the buckle from the left instead of the right. Crap, it's gonna take me till noon every day just to get dressed. :binkybaby:

stratamania said:
Now I know why my laces were using the stronger form of a knot. Although I play guitar right-handed, being left-handed I must have stumbled on that knot inadvertently as an adaptation of what I was shown.

Finally! My son has a shot at something being easier for him at last! (Still in velcro in 1st grade)

I remember learning how to tie my laces in first grade.  The shoes: keds.  Spent what seemed like hours, days, doing it over and over ... and then one day I was so proud ... I did it!  It was great being a kid.

PhilHill said:
I hope your proud of yourself. You've got a 65 year old guy sitting here trying to relearn how to tie his shoes...
Well, I'll be damned! I was a Boy Scout leader for many years, and the Troop expert on tying knots. I could tie probably 20-25 different knots from memory, (maybe 10-12 today, if I put my mind to it), and I coached our Scouts to several summer camp knot tying victories. And with all this, I've never even heard of a strong/weak version of a bow! Gonna have to dig out my old uniform shirt, strip off the "BSA Knot Tying" patch, and hang my head in shame....  :sad:

yo my y nephew showed me this recently and i was skeptical (remember, my friends call me skepty) of him a reliable source of Intel. But it turns out this a good way to tie shoes. you see, my nephew said I should ask the girl who hands out cheese samples at the grocery store to be my girlfriend before somebody else does, but I didn't know if he's qualified to give relationships advice since he also said "you can't trust girls, when I get a girlfriend I'm not gonna tell her where I work or live" and also "you should leave your house dirty because it shows women you have better things to do with your time than clean". You understand now why i thought his shoe tie knowledge might have been dubious

Cagey said:
Looking at the knot, turns out it's a "square knot" with loops.
Yep. Typically people tie a 'slipped" granny knot.

One thing I have done for the last 20 years is instead of having the free end go around the loop once, I make a second pass. Not only is the knot more secure, it looks nicer too.

If I start to tie my shoes tomorrow and can't do it at all, I'll at least know who to blame! :-\

Except, this works. I've been doing it, much against 100 years of habit and my shoes don't untie on their own anymore, but are just as easy for me to untie as usual.

Back