How often is Bocote available for necks?

MikeD

I see it has been an option in the past, but not currently.  Is it something you’d have to call about?

Usually regular for fret boards. I can't remember the last time I saw no vote neck meat as a build option.  I've seen it in the showcase not infrequently.

Best bet is to call the mothership directly and ask.  253-845-0403

MikeD said:
Was actually wanting to do a one piece neck.

Some of the "exotic" woods Warmoth only does as two piece neck but if you can call Warmoth directly to ask on that they will be able to say if Bocote is one of them. Around 2012 one of the staff at Warmoth who was helping me on an order got an all Bocote neck with no inlays on the fretboard and it as an absolute stunner. I mean you would literally swoon. I've seen two or three necks over time in the showcase with Bocote fretboards that I wish I had picked up. I've only been active here since about 2012 but from my memory I think an all Bocote neck has been a special arrangement over the phone if the shop had a blank of Bocote. Good luck in your search, such a neck would be fantastic!

I'd been looking for a bocote tele neck for some time after seeing them on the showcase.  I think I waited another year for more to come up after the first ones I saw because I never saw them as an order option but they were all strat headstocks.  I called to ask about ordering one and was told then that they were usually used for showcase necks.  I explained I was looking for a tele and they let me know they could cut a strat headstock down to a tele one.  So I picked this beauty up - and the wait was well worth it!  It is BY FAR my favorite neck to play.  Mine's a 2 piece neck.

Attachments

• IMGP1821.JPG
    IMGP1821.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMGP1822.JPG
    IMGP1822.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP1823.JPG
    IMGP1823.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 178
Stunning neck AND a stunning body.

A stunning guitar as a matter of fact.
Beautiful!  :icon_thumright:

Thank you.  Something to keep in mind with bocote is that it darkens quite a bit over time.  The pics above were when I first put it together and had used sandpaper on it to burnish the wood.  That brought out the light fresh bocote color.  Here it is today - 8 years later:

Attachments

• IMG_4699.jpg
    IMG_4699.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
Steve St.Laurent said:
Thank you.  Something to keep in mind with bocote is that it darkens quite a bit over time.  The pics above were when I first put it together and had used sandpaper on it to burnish the wood.  That brought out the light fresh bocote color.  Here it is today - 8 years later:

Wow, that's quite a difference! Both look great though!

Back