How much do YOU spend on Warmoth???

Scotty2Hotty

Just thought I'd throw it out there - how much are you guys spending on your Warmoth builds?  :icon_scratch:
Currently I've managed to blow about $1145 on my first build - that being said, I finished the body myself...

(Not at all implying that Warmoth are overpriced or anything, you could spend thousands on a G or a PRS for similar quality)

Just counting the parts ordered at Warmoth (body & neck), my first built should end up between 500-800€ (depending on whether if order the body finished or not). Add 260€ for the pickups (EMG DG20), 100€ for the bridge, 75€ for the tuners, that's around 1000-1200€ for the whole thing.

Two months ago, I was about to pull the trigger on a Mex Strat, on which I would have changed at least the pickups and the bridge. So 1000-1200€ for a W build with everything right from the beginning sounds fine to me.

Besides, I think it's a fair price for an unique guitar that meets all your requirements and which you'll probably keep for a couple of decades.

If I count the tools I would have had to buy to build my own body & neck, and the trial and error process before getting exactly what I wanted, I would have spend more than that. Maybe I'll get to it later, but for this build I'm happy with my choice, and I don't think Warmoth is overpriced at all — especially if you manage to find what you want in the showcase.

I didn't purchase all of my items at the same time, but I would estimate my VIP ran me about $1,000.  I think my Strat ran around $750 over its many years and mods.

First build was about $800 with a sale body and good but not great components.  The second was planned better using the lessons I learned from the first build and I probably put about $1000 into it finishing it myself and using my first choice pickups, electronics, etc.  I do sometimes grab a very expensive guitar at a local place and play for a bit and I wouldnt trade mine for something costing more than twice as much.

I do know that I'm sure I could do a strat for well under a grand that would beat the pants off most Fender products.  The ass-biter with anything you build is the re-sale, but if you build something to keep and play, its a non-issue.

A value for me that is not monetary is all the stuff I learned and continue to learn in doing this.  Great fun. 

The honest answer would be TOOOOO MUCH! (that's my wife's response anyway)  :dontknow:

My first build was an LP and it ran about $1300 total

My second was an LP for my son and it ran about $1300

My spalted tele ran about $1400

My Quilt Top VW cost $1000

My V cost $700

Currently working on a Black Korina Strat with everything totaling $750, and an alder hard tail Strat totaling around $600

My latest is an LP from the blow out sale.  Neck and body cost around $550

My most expensive was maybe $1200, that's an exotic neck and finished body, boutique pickups and a fret levelling / edge radius job from a pro.
Least expensive was about $600, that was a "deals" raw poplar body and maple neck (which I still have and is an excellent neck), basic hardware and Bill Lawrence Keystone pickup set.
The other 16 guitars have all been somewhere in the middle. Sheesh!

I don't keep close track of cost, but I think the average has been about $1100-$1200 for me. A couple have been somewhat high... for instance, I have a carved top Soloist that I bought new, which is an expensive body no matter what you do, and I put a new one-piece Ziricote neck on it that was wicked expensive. I think there's about $1400 just in the neck/body on that one. My tiger Strat was pricey, too. I think there was about $1200 just in the neck/body on that one. Add another $400-$500 in hardware and electricals...

But, I've got some "screaming deal" necks/bodies, and some trades, and some ebay deals. Paying full price on any of those would crank the price substantially, but in reality I may have only dropped $800 or so. For instance, the bound carved top ice blue Tele body I recently got on Ebay would have been nearly $800 from Warmoth, but I got it for $350 or so. I've got a carved top VIP that I bought used for a fraction of what it would have cost new. Stuff like that.

With some exceptions, musical gear suffers some pretty painful price reductions on the used market, so the watchword is patience. If you want something RFN, it's gonna cost you. If you can wait for a deal, one will certainly come along. Musicians are notorious for bringing on crisis situations where they have to price things to move fast, which translates into low prices. You simply have to be in a position to jump on their misfortune.

I spent roughly $500 per piece neck and body for the first two guitars I built but I live in Washington so I get stuck dropping about $55 tax each purchase, this third build is a little cheaper as I am finishing it myself so about $450 for the neck and I figure about the same for the body....but in each case I have always ordered specific custom options that cost more, wether it be special woods or tops or weight or bridge options or fret and contour choices...

as far as complete build price I wont go into that as I spent alot more than is necessary for again specific custom choices and I dont want the average joe to get the impression that you have to spend a ton to get a great guitar because you dont.

I think for the price of a good Fender or Gibson you can build a Custom guitar with premium parts and options that would cost you double if it was done by the Fender or Gibson shop, keep in mind the guitars almost all of the great blues and rock musicians made and played world wide would be scrap compared to the high quality of the parts that are being made and used today.....so you dont have to drop $2000 to have a great guitar though Fender or Gibson would like you to believe you do.

"Jaws", the blue LP, ran me about $1650.  Carved top, full binding on the neck and body, trap inlays, unique choice top, blue burst, almost all premium hardware, 4 push pull pots... yeah, it wasn't cheap.  It's my "luxury" guitar, and I'm probably never building anything that insanely fancy again.  Still half the list price of a Gibson Les Paul Standard!

Purple Strat - I think it was around $1150. Strangely enough, almost every piece of that guitar was purchased as either a Christmas or birthday gift for me from someone in my family.  I wasn't even really planning a build, it just sort of materialized. 

Short scale Jazz bass - Somewhere around $900.  The body was pretty cheap because it was a showcase piece. 

Current LP build - I think it's going to top out around $1450 after all is said and done. 

I have two Warmoth builds. I don't remember the exact costs on them, but each was - IIRC - less than $1,000 for the parts. On the first one, I already had the pickups, so that might have pushed it a bit over $1.000. Then I spent $150 and $200, respectively, paying pro guitar techs to assemble and finish them for me. I admire those who do the assembly and setup and all themselves, but I'm not there, and the money spent paying a pro is well worth it to me.

I'm in the process of saving and buying the pieces to my first build.  The neck was about $450 (goncalo with custom inlay) and I just ordered the body plus a few extra parts for about $800 (swamp ash, unique choice lam top w/ natural mask binding and custom paint).  I still have to get a bridge and pickups.  Once all is said and done it will be close to $1600.

My first build was a cherryburst start with a custom ordered neck. I figured that would be my only build so I went full bore on everything and didn't skip any corners. Everything, body neck, term, pups, pots, wiring etc. etc.. and shipping to Japan, I think I had about $1800.00 in it. I ended up selling that one on Yahoo auction here in Japan and I seem to recall getting about 1600 out of it. Not bad considering I played it for more than a year.

My second build was an Alpine white beauty, as you can see in my sig below. I didn't skip any corners on that one either, but the neck was from the showcase. I think everything, with shipping to Japan, I have about 1200 in it.

I'm currently about 700 into a body/neck set that are being painted as we speak. I think the paint and a few other parts are going to put me into for another 600 or so.

Would love to just grab a screaming deal body with a screaming deal neck and make something for under a grand.
MULLY

I spent around $1400, but keep in mind that the neck alone was $500 (from USACG) with all the features I wanted, and the Original Floyd Rose was almost $200.  The Soloist Body almost $300.

My next build will be a Strat, and my target budget is around $900.

I intend to later build a Tele for even less than that.

If you go for exotic or figured woods, the cost will obviously be higher.

I lost track after a few builds  :doh:  (still have all details on items, costs etc thou)

For me  :icon_scratch:  i'll say anywhere between $900 - $1,500 (without shipping costs) including a hardcase / strap / strings and a pick  :laughing7:
Probably could have built 2 guitars just with the shipping costs. But I don't include that.
Of cause the showcase items makes things cheaper, and the custom orders dearer.
Both my Custom order builds where both solid colours, that made it bit cheaper there, than Unique choices, Dyes etc.
One had Binding thou, so up goes the price.
One had a 2Tek bridge ... there not cheap.
Depends on the bridge cost. As they go from $40 to $200+
Pickup costs ..... well again they go from I  :dontknow: to $997
Depends on the quality of Exotics, Flame or Quilt maples etc etc etc

I had a fairly cheap build happening, then tossed in some BKP's, up she went.  :toothy11:

Now you have given me a hugh headache just thinking about the $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Oh crap ... I need a drink now ....    .... and then straight back to the showcase.  :icon_biggrin:

Very interesting. The average seems to be around $1000 - $1200. Cool. :blob7:
I certainly agree with everyone that it's much wiser spending only a fraction of the price of big name guitars on a guitar with your looks, your sound and your feel. Why would you do it any other way?  :icon_thumright:

Thanks Warmoth!  :headbang:

Death by Uberschall said:
Too much, but worth every penny.  :eek:ccasion14:

This: +1.

My first W Strat was about $650, second just under $1100 and the new sunburst was just over $1400.

More than I spend on pics, that's for sure

http://www.stoneworkspicks.com/list-products.php?type=060_dinosaur_bone

:eek:

Right, because from all that we could learn from Dinosaur bones, we should use them as guitar picks.

Hell in a handbasket, all the while singing hymns.

Back