How many band shows do you play?

How many times in a year do you play with a band in front of a crowd?

• 5 times or less

Votes: 75 51.0%
  • 6 to 15 times a year

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • 16 to 30 times a year

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • 31 to 45 times a year

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • 46 + times a year

Votes: 19 12.9%

• Total voters
I'm finding myself more involved with jam sessions than with actual gigs. Again, passing 40 sucks. I think the biggest problem is that I can't tolerate attitudes anymore. If I get a band together I would just like for everyone involved to be there to have a good time. None of the politics, none of the selfishness etc.... Work up a bunch of tunes and play out if we have the chance....which we would because I know just about everyone in a band around here. I find that finding a bassist is the hardest part. No one plays bass. I was thinking of taking that upon myself but I already took over the vocals. Right now, there is me and I have a drummer ready to go anytime I want to get moving. If I take over the bass too then all we would need is a guitarist.
MULLY

At my age, not being in a steady band, I get calls to play on nights someone is sick or out of town. I will play aabout 3 gigs in Dec. then it dies till summer when I get about 10 calls and about 2 or 3 each fall. All stuff is mainly Classic Rock, C&W or sometimes Jazz if I am lucky, I would like to get a lot more Jazz work but I think not having an archtop affects that.

Up until the end of September I hadn't been on stage in over 2 years. In August my guitar teacher asked me to join his band on stage at the end of September. Since then I've been offered another spot with them this coming Sunday, I have another gig (my band) on November 21st, and then my teacher and I are doing an acoustic set on November 27th. When it rains it pours I guess.
MULLY

yes, I still go to lessons and am not ashamed to admit it. I'm never so good that I can't learn something new.  :headbang:

I have a practice/rehersal space in an old factory now converted for artist use called "Jam>Space" that I jointly rent with about a dozen other players of various instruments.  We play in two slightly different bands, because this is all my doing, I am in both.  The tuesday night band, is more rehearsed and we play a set list (usually).  The Friday night band is more of a jam session.  Tell us the key we should be in, step up to the mic and lets rock.  We have a couple of drum kits, a percussion rig, hammond, leslie, mics, pa, recording equip, siezure inducing lights, amps and a lounge area with couches and tables.

We all pay dues based on how often we are at Jam>Space to play and how much we CAN contribute. No money is no reason NOT to play.  We have never had trouble paying rent.  We all have real jobs and careers that provide for the needs of modern life.  We play music the way some people play softball.  It is our release and our team-time.  We have played-out but, frankly, the effort it takes to haul all the gear, the headache of hooking everything up, the strain on the equipment and the time it takes, we really are not intrested.  If we paid ourselves what we thought it is worth to move everthing, we would price ourselves out of the market.  It is more fun for us to hang-out, play what we want, when we want, for US and in a place we are secure and comfortable.  We pay to play, grin a lot and when I am done, I cover my equipment, and pack-out my guitar ONLY.  We lock the door and set the alarm.  Home by 10:30, rested by morning and ready to go to work again.  It is a perfect scenario.

Jam>Space is available in your area, inquire through me.

0-5 currently. My current gig (if you can call it that) is sitting in with a friend's band when they need a second guitar or my friend is concentrating on singing.

The unfortunate part is that with family and work commitments, I just don't have time to acutally be in a band, learning a set list, practice like I'd like to, work on setting up gigs, etc.

Eric Banjitar said:
Jam>Space is available in your area, inquire through me.

This sounds great. Anything in the SoCal area?

Sorry "Jam>Space" has not spread beyond MO :doh: On the bright-side, you could do the same thing.  Find an old factory and a bunch a players you like and start yourself a chapter.  Lucky for you I am running a franchise creators special buy-in this month.  For the one-time, non-refundable and due immediatley cost of $126.53 you can buy-in to the franchise.  Did I mention that you could be the FIRST ever to become a franchise member of "Jam>Space"?  Dont let this opportunity pass.  Send your creditcards today.

I have played for years and was in a few bands. I now play at church on Sunday mornings (surprisingly, I can use some Pink Floyd, U2, and Hendrix style riffs there, and they fit).  My first band "Chain-Mail" broke up because my guitarist moved to Mexico to get in the coke business, and he found it to be a cutthroat industry. We played a few places, but I found out that I was the one that was in it for the music, and my co-writer was using it to get women and did not care if we made it.

These days, we play a show each week...

... on the front porch!  Sometimes get quite a crowd...  :icon_thumright:

You mean appear in front of people and play guitar?..................Uhh...............No... 0 Times...............Well, I did once play in front of 3 four year olds , 5 stuffed Sesame Street characters , and a Yoda statue.............Tuff crowd.  :headbang: :headbang:

Back