How easy are Warmoth guitars to assemble ?

Buckshot

After watching the Warmoth website and drooling over some of the items for over 5 years I reckon I'm ready to get my first project going.

How easy are these things to put together ? I was going to order everything needed from Warmoth except for the pick ups to hpefully make it easier.

I'm not very good with my hands when it comes to making somehing but for assembly I'm fine. What do I need to know before jumping in ?

DO IT!  It's a lot easier than you think.  If you know anything about basic guitar maintenance, and have ever replaced a pickup, pot, or a jack, ect. you're more than qualified.  You'll be hooked like the rest of us!

It is easy to assemble the guitar - you'll just need basic hand tools (including a drill BTW), but it's very simple.

The hard part is setting it up so that it plays well - especially the nut.  Be prepared to invest in a nice set of nut files (stumac has a good set), a good book (use Dan's book - also from stumac), and some time.  I'd get the book first, then the tools, then practice on your regular guitar, then the warmoth.

It was $125 worth of easy (I paid my local guitar tech to assemble and intonate).....best $125 I have ever spent next to the $$ it cost me for my W.........and I am going to do it again real soon  :toothy12:

lafromla1 said:
It was $125 worth of easy (I paid my local guitar tech to assemble and intonate).....best $125 I have ever spent next to the $$ it cost me for my W.........and I am going to do it again real soon  :toothy12:

If you're going to get another---especially soon---you might as well spend $125 in getting more than enough tools to do the job right and save yourself some money in the long run! Besides, I have yet to meet a guitar tech, repair man, etc., that does a better job than myself (even though I have less tools and supposedly less training.) One of the reasons for this is that most good techs are either in music meccas (Nashville, Austin, etc.), or are on the road supporting legends every day.

Anyway, if you think you might enjoy that type of thing... It's a bit of time invested to get it right, but if you know how you like it, there's no one else more qualified for the job than you!

I'll say it again, buy this book first:
http://www.danerlewine.com/guitar_repair_books.html

You can get them anywhere, order it from your local bookstore! etc. Once you've read all the parts about nuts, frets, finishing, and electronics you'll be much better able to assess how comfortable you feel about it. It really depends on what you've done in the past - if a screen door or windowpane repair frightens you, or you haven't changed pickups and pots, mebbe you'd want someone else to do the intricate parts.

because warmoth routs their parts so damn well, its easy as HELL to build a warmoth.

For me the key was patience.  I put my first one all together and it took a lot of iterative tweaking to get it right.  Eventually, though, you will have a guitar setup perfectly for you.  After building several I feel like I have developed some good skills.

For me building it is part of the fun.  Having someone else assemble it seems like buying a model airplane and then hiring someone build it for you.

Do it! It's a great learning experience, it's a lot of fun, AND when you're done you have something you can look at and say, "Yep, I built that." Amaze your friends!

ErogenousJones said:
Do it! It's a great learning experience, it's a lot of fun, AND when you're done you have something you can look at and say, "Yep, I built that." Amaze your friends!

They are indeed amazed, but I always feel guilty claiming that. I mean...I didn't really build it, now did I?  :icon_jokercolor:

exalted said:
ErogenousJones said:

They are indeed amazed, but I always feel guilty claiming that. I mean...I didn't really build it, now did I?  :icon_jokercolor:
Yes, really you did in fact build it. A steel company makes the I-beams, a concrete comp. makes the concrete. But they don't build the building...right.. :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
exalted said:
ErogenousJones said:

Yes, really you did in fact build it. A steel company makes the I-beams, a concrete comp. makes the concrete. But they don't build the building...right.. :dontknow:
Very well put.  :eek:ccasion14:

build (bɪld) verb, built or (Archaic) build⋅ed; build⋅ing; noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to construct (esp. something complex) by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.

Blue313 said:
DangerousR6 said:
exalted said:
ErogenousJones said:

Very well put.   :eek:ccasion14:

–verb (used with object)
1. to construct (esp. something complex) by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.
:icon_biggrin:

exalted said:
ErogenousJones said:

Not only did you build it, but you naturally built it better, because you're a lefty.

Build

1: to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole : construct
2: to cause to be constructed
3: to develop according to a systematic plan, by a definite process, or on a particular base

Assemble

1 : to bring together (as in a particular place or for a particular purpose)
2 : to fit together the parts of

I think assemble fits the context better.  If I "built" my Warmoth, that makes me a Luthier, which I'm not.  I assembled mine from parts Warmoth (and others) were happy to sell me.

Blue313 said:
–verb (used with object)

I love joining parts!!  :icon_biggrin:

we really should set up a FAQ and sticky it.

Jack commented on this already about new vs. hero members and I think it would be a really good idea.

Back