How do ya'll feel about shill bidders on Ebay?

spe111 said:
People doing that kind of stuff are obviously scumbags, but they always have and will always exist. I established by bid philosophy a long time ago, I put whatever I'm willing to pay in for a maximum bid and don't worry about it after that. If someone fake bids it up and you still win, it will be at or less than what you were willing to pay. If I was trying to get something really cheap or far below market value, then I'd wonder how bad I really wanted that thing.

I understand what you're saying, and to you that might be a perfectly acceptable outcome.  But, to me, this is unacceptable.  Auctions are just that, an auction that should sell to the highest legitimate bidder at a non-tampered with price as determined by the actual worth of this item at that given time... not a price that was artificially inflated by an outside force that has no intention of buying said item.  When I bid on an item, I have a price point that I will not go beyond.  I think that most everybody does, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be happier paying less than that.

So, let's just say that you're at a public auction and you're bidding on an item.  You know you'd pay $500 for this item, but the bidding stalls at $350 and nobody else is showing interest.  You're thinking "Cool, I'll get this for $150 less than I was willing to pay!".  Then, out of nowhere.. someone else decides to start bidding and you get in a bidding war with another bidder and end up paying the $500 and you think to yourself that you got what you wanted at the price you were willing to pay.  No harm, no foul right?  But later you see the auctioneer and the person you were bidding against patting each other on the back, laughing about something and splitting up your $150 that you just paid over and above what you could have gotten the item for.  Are you still ok with that? 

Another thing that occurred to me is that you say "far below market value".. Fair and legitimate auctions are the best barometer for what "fair market value" is.. If you know what something is worth, chances are others will also.  So, "market value" will only be what that group of buyers is willing to pay, without any outside influence (such as shill bidders).

Have you called them...details on this page.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy/shill-bidding-policy?id=4353

EBay is populated by humans. This tells you two things, there will legitimate sales and there will be scams aplenty. This, being human nature is to be expected. It's sad and deplorable, but it's to be expected.  :sad1:

stratamania said:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy/shill-bidding-policy?id=4353

Have you actually read the page that you linked too?  I really don't think calling will achieve anything, except for wasting the caller's time.  It plainly states:

How do I report shill bidding?

If you think that another member is shill bidding, you don't need to report it to us. eBay has a number of systems in place to detect and monitor bidding patterns and practices. If we identify any malicious behavior, we'll take steps to prevent it.

You don't need to report it to us?!?!  That right there tells you how serious Ebay is about actually doing anything about the problem.  Classic case of the fox minding the hen house. 

War_in_D said:
stratamania said:

Have you actually read the page that you linked too?  I really don't think calling will achieve anything, except for wasting the caller's time.  It plainly states:

How do I report shill bidding?

If you think that another member is shill bidding, you don't need to report it to us. eBay has a number of systems in place to detect and monitor bidding patterns and practices. If we identify any malicious behavior, we'll take steps to prevent it.

You don't need to report it to us?!?!  That right there tells you how serious Ebay is about actually doing anything about the problem.  Classic case of the fox minding the hen house. 

Yes I read all of it.

You don't need to report it. This does not mean that prevents you from doing so.

Still need help it suggests you call. Perhaps you could call them and inform them that you do not think the systems they have are spotting the shill bidding and that you would like to see what else could be done.

If nothing can be done, then as I mentioned before when the thread was last active vote with your feet and avoid Ebay.

Just what it says. Every auction I've ever been in as either buyer or seller involves a product that's either difficult to get, attractively priced or both, and there's always some anticipation that a thing either won't sell for as much as you believe it's worth, will cost more than you want to pay, or will run out of time before you have a chance to pay it. In all cases, you miss out on either some money or the goods.

Back