How are you putting custom headstock logos on?

Pasta4lnch

What are some options for custom logos?  Stickers?  Burning etching? I have a design in mind - or at least a concept and possible font. Mainly looking for implementation ideas...

Yes. Both of those. And then laser engraving. Cutting out the logo with a router and inletting with contrasting wood. Or casting molten silver in the rout. Freehand painting. Laser or inkjet transfer sheet.

Transfer paper is interesting...hadn't thought about that.  Do you think it will stay?  Maybe clear coat over?  The finish on my neck is satin so this concerns me which is why I sort of ruled stickers out. I don't want to see a shiny area that clearly says "sticker". 

ByteFrenzy said:
Yes. Both of those. And then laser engraving. Cutting out the logo with a router and inletting with contrasting wood. Or casting molten silver in the rout. Freehand painting. Laser or inkjet transfer sheet.

Pasta4lnch said:
Transfer paper is interesting...hadn't thought about that.  Do you think it will stay?  Maybe clear coat over?  The finish on my neck is satin so this concerns me which is why I sort of ruled stickers out. I don't want to see a shiny area that clearly says "sticker". 

ByteFrenzy said:
Yes, I have used a product sold for decorating model airplanes and the results were OK. But you do have to clear coat over them, which makes them more suitable if you are going to finish the neck yourself. Matching an existing finish will be a challenge, and matching a satin finish all the more so.

I've been using water slide decals. Design anything you like, and have them made to your specs. I have mine made by Rothco and Frost, https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/decals-c1/guitar-decals-c2. Their suggested application procedure, and instructions for burying it in lacquer, have produced good results for me.
5eQT2Ep.jpg

This one is white text with silver filigree. I thought the white would be more opaque, but it grayed out a little against the black background. The metallic silver is just fine. If I had it to do over, I'd use gold for the text, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the way this turned out.
CWhaxdU.jpg

As you can see, their metallic gold and black are just fine.

@DMRACO Thats nice!

@BigSteve (I'm a big Steve too!) I discovered this site today. I think, after watching some youtube clips, this might be the way I want to go.  Seeing your examples I must say the silver looks great.  I initially wanted just plain black.  My neck is roasted maple so it might be dark enough for the silver...it arrives Monday so we shall see  :toothy12:

BigSteve22 said:
I've been using water slide decals. Design anything you like, and have them made to your specs. I have mine made by Rothco and Frost, https://www.rothkoandfrost.com/decals-c1/guitar-decals-c2. Their suggested application procedure, and instructions for burying it in lacquer, have produced good results for me.
5eQT2Ep.jpg

This one is white text with silver filigree. I thought the white would be more opaque, but it grayed out a little against the black background. The metallic silver is just fine. If I had it to do over, I'd use gold for the text, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the way this turned out.
CWhaxdU.jpg

As you can see, their metallic gold and black are just fine.

Maybe this thread could be a sticky? There's a lot of useful info here about different logo approaches.

I'm revisiting as I received a message about how to go about ordering decals.

I'll add some examples of what I've tried so far.

Professionally printed by Rothko & Frost (and professionally applied):

8eJnIjO.jpg

NPCHt4v.jpg

Pro print but DIY application (on funny looking headstocks):

KUprLWw.jpg

DIY print and application:

C4hMIfx.jpg

Alternative approach - these are printed on vinyl which is then bonded to the back of clear acrylic and laser-cut by Scratch-it! - The Original Scratchplates Company:

LwbxSst.jpg

z7ovhD9.jpg

That's it so far, I'm hoping to try a combination of laser engraving and metal powder fill at some point.

This guy makes it look easy although I have read it's not

https://youtu.be/pDAvPJV_alc?t=1m24s

I've made a custom waterslide decal using the printable decal paper, and then put it between layers of clear coat finish. More details here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28884.msg409311#msg409311

Unless I use one of the Warmoth embossed stickers or nothing at all, that's what I've been doing, too. Easy enough to do, even with just rattle cans. I've even done it on roasted Maple now... just mask off everything but the headstock face. Only downside is the cure time.

I used a water slide decal and cleared it with a rattle can of Minwax lacquer from Lowe’s and it came out great.

Back