Holoflash Material?

W

Watershed

Hey everybody - I have been trying to find the right holographic foil to do a holoflash design on my friends Kramer.

I am familiar with the stuff found on e-bay, which has an adhesive back.  The accompanying instructions can be found at www.projectguitar.com.  Not really looking to use this.  It's not really going to achieve the genuine Kramer effect.

We did much internet research and found that the ideal material is a thin film, holographic material that is applied with heat.

I am not sure if this is the right stuff or not. Can someone offer up some advice or point me in the right direction. I have done a lot of research and still can't find a definitive answer or a place to acquire the "right" holographic material. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

IMG_3800.jpg

:)

I think you need to use urethane based paints, though.  All was well, till I applied clear, and it lost much of its luster.
The profound rainbow is gone for the most part, and looks more like tin foil now.  I appears that the clear softened the black enough to cause problems.

Glad I used a test board.

James

The material your looking for is on sale on e bay under "holoflash for gutairs and more". It's the right stuff i've used it and it's exactly what was used on the original kramers. Check it out!!!!!!

I believe I have located the material, I have been doing some pretty exhaustive research.
I really have more of it than I need now.

The acetone in the lacquer seems to burn the foil though.  I guess that's why no one does this in lacquer.

My question is what sort of clearcoat are you using? 
I'm guessing most are using a 2 part urethane al la PPG or HOK.

I'm also assuming this isn't just the big holographic sticker one guy has been selling on e-bay for a while.

James

I thought I would dig this one out of he archives with an update.
Holo5.jpg
Holo3.jpg

It's going back to the owner tomorrow for re-assembly.
No more Lana.

Makes me want to wear spandex pants and tease my hair.  :guitarplayer2:

Back