Hollow Wenge Bass Body

Stuck in the Sixties

I just received my special ordered hollow wenge jazz bass body. I ordered this body to go with my wenge/ebony neck I bought from Warmoth. This neck can be found on page 2 on Just Out of the Box.  I've got many thoughts going through my mind now as to what should I do. Should I use the wenge body and neck together, should I tung oil the body or just leave it naked, should I get a different neck for the body, or should I get a different body for the neck (I like that 2 different basses) ? This brings up another problem black, gold, or silver hardware. Any and all suggestions would be appreicated?   :cool01:

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 480
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 444
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 431
That just completely rocks!  :headbang: What did that run you if you don't mind me asking, might have to do a guitar like that somewhere down the road....

As to hardware, I'd forego the black option, either gold or silver would go with that body, hard to make a quick pick there...

DO NOT tung oil that body; leave it raw, you can use a little WATCO Danish Oil on it, that's all it could ever need.

If the grain/coloration of the wenge on the neck is pretty close, I'd use the two together...

Okay, got it, go gold with the wenge/ebony neck....

That is fanfuckingtastic!
I would say Gold , especially if the neck is going to be Wenge as well!

I really wonder how an all wenge hollow strat would sound :) it would look great for sure! :)

Stop putting ideas in my head Jack..
it's hard enough to keep this addiction under control
and on top of that I told my wife that there will only be one more thinline and one more strat  :sad: :sad1: :-\

jackthehack said:
That just completely rocks!  :headbang: What did that run you if you don't mind me asking, might have to do a guitar like that somewhere down the road....

I'm glad that you like it. The body was $545.00 + $19.50 for shipping. The neck was a total of $491.50. I was leaning toward the gold hardware.
I'll say one thing for sure that's she isn't the lightest girl at the prom.

Normally I would not say this, but I think gold would work very well on that body. I am not a huge fan of gold hardware but I can definatley see it here.

I think a new neck with no markers would be great. Maybe a slightly lighter fretboard wood like this http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/necks/BN1364a.jpg

That body is such a work of art I wouldn't want to detract from it at all. It's really really nice! For the $, you could'nt get that anywhere else.

-TT-

jackthehack said:
If the grain/coloration of the wenge on the neck is pretty close, I'd use the two together...

I've taken a few pictures with the neck and body and they do match very well, I'm still thinking another neck with this body and another body with this neck.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 432
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 420
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 410
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 417
jackthehack said:
I was thinking Wenge Thinline....

With the right pups and a black face fender bassman '67 or older that Thinline would cry the blues.

Now you guys have got me thinking too much, A thought just hit me to have a Tele, Strat, and a P-Bass made. Good thing I'm retired and the wife doesn't care what I buy and NO I don't have to ask and believe me I know how lucky I am.

That matches PERFECTLY, don't even THINK about not putting that neck on that body....

on the note that you should match neck and body woods:  i have read on this very site that building a guitar out of only one tonewood rovs the instrument of its tonal variety. for example, if you build a guitar out of all rosewood, you will never be able to get the toanl qualities of say a maple neck that is usually paired with a rosewood board. i do agree that the pieces of wood match exquisitely, but you may want to consider how the bass will sound. if you want your bass to look like a single piece of wood, go for it. just be aware that it may sound slightly flat...

Dearest Stuck,  I humbly submit to you that, if nothing else, you give this a try "as is".  Please!  If it doesn't sound right, you can swap out later, but really, those two pieces right there scream to me that they were made for each other...You know we all want to see it, too, perverts that we are!!!

"i have read on this very site that building a guitar out of only one tonewood rovs the instrument of its tonal variety"

Yeah, and Schmoopy ALWAYS stockpiles his meds and takes them all at once......

i suppose it is worth a shot. if it doesn't wind up sounding good, you always have the option of swapping out the neck. go ahead,  the wood does look killer.  :)

mmmmmm wenge!  :toothy10:
                            :hello2:

jackthehack said:
"i have read on this very site that building a guitar out of only one tonewood rovs the instrument of its tonal variety"

Yeah, and Schmoopy ALWAYS stockpiles his meds and takes them all at once......

ok ok, bitch, i didn't want to say bitch, because i already got on message for profanity, and i don't want another, aint that a bitch!

as for the wenge, don't use it all, i want to get a neck some time in the future to, ever since i played a warwick in a store about a year ago, i wanted a wenge neck.

Back