Hollow Swamp Ash J-Bass

emmaporkchop said:
Wow, that's really nice, how do you like the reversed string tension?

Tension is the same.  That's a myth.  Skuttle Funk can explain it nicely.

Anywho, I just liked the look of it.  It wasn't for any functional reason.

What's taken getting used to is tuning.  I adjusted no problem to tuning underhand, but the low E is the furthest from you, and G is the closest.  I'm having to retrain my brain.

I took home the shop bass this weekend for some recording.  It's a hollow alder bodied J bass with passive Duncan SJB2B & SJB2N pickups, & got the most testicular fortitude I think I've ever gotten out of a bass recording.

I'll have to post clips soon, but just wanted to chime in & attest to the way hollow seems to accent a bass body.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
  Why did I do it?  The short answer is because I can.

This, my friends, is the best reason for doing anything. If you want to do it, you should just do it!  :eek:ccasion14:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I took home the shop bass this weekend for some recording.  It's a hollow alder bodied J bass with passive Duncan SJB2B & SJB2N pickups, & got the most testicular fortitude I think I've ever gotten out of a bass recording.

I'll have to post clips soon, but just wanted to chime in & attest to the way hollow seems to accent a bass body.

I think it's the elusive J-Bass "growl."  There's nothing like it.

mayfly said:
  Why did I do it?  The short answer is because I can.

This, my friends, is the best reason for doing anything. If you want to do it, you should just do it!  :eek:ccasion14:

Amen

man that is sweet!!!! :headbang1: this is generaly how I want my next project to look (TB deluxe 5 Pbass). How much extra did the burst on the back cost you?

Brian

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

I think it's the elusive J-Bass "growl."  There's nothing like it.

Love the growl, love the growl.  Now I'm tempted to do one for myself, tuned down to BEAD for playing with my 7 string songs.

bpmorton777 said:
man that is sweet!!!! :headbang1: this is generaly how I want my next project to look (TB deluxe 5 Pbass). How much extra did the burst on the back cost you?

Brian

I still have the invoice.  It reads: 

FINISH BODY
TOB BRST MATTE F&B  $220.00

So, no.  No extra charge.  However, the satin finish on the body took an extra week.

bpmorton777 said:

Brian

Here was the catalyst as far as picking the matte finish and burst color.  I saw this in the LP section of the gallery.  This LP is maple and mine is ash, but I still had an idea of what it would look like.  I had even considered getting a birdseye maple top and mahogany back, but the burst on the back would not have matched due to the differences in wood varieties.  In the end I was very pleased with the choice of ash, it was a little truer to a J-Bass than a maple/mahogany combo.  For my next build, I'm toying with a Padouk body and neck with ebony fretboard.  Of course it will be a J-Bass with reverse headstock and satin finish.  Basically this same bass in Padouk.  This is my favorite instrument instrument of any that I've ever owned.  It seems like I'm dragging on, but I love this bass.

LPTOB-1.jpg

Sounds cool! Not helping me with the bass GAS (even knowing it would be $$$ bad spent as I would never play it actually)

NonsenseTele said:
Sounds cool! Not helping me with the bass GAS (even knowing it would be $$$ bad spent as I would never play it actually)

That's fine.  Just call yourself a "collector."  I'm sure you'll get no objection from Warmoth.

NonsenseTele said:

That's fine.  Just call yourself a "collector."  I'm sure you'll get no objection from Warmoth.

I'll get it from me :sad1:

Back