HOLLOW BODY STRAT VRS. SOLID BODY

HMstratocaster

For my next build I think I might make it a hollow body. So I wanna know how does a hollow body sound better than solid body? What are the tonal differences? What woulds should I use? I was thinking of swamp ash or mahogany with a flame maple top.

I have a '77 Strat and am currently using one that is a mixture of parts I got from ebay.

It is a seafoam green Fender body with an allparts maple/rosewood neck.

I just got a hollow Strat korina/walnut.  I'm ready to fill and put an oil finish on it.
I also have a canary/canary neck coming for it, so, although it's a little late for
opinions to affect my decision, I'd be interested in others' views.

I can only imagine and expect it to be more resonant. I play pretty loud and hope
it will be resonant enough to give me controlled feedback.

At home, I have two solid body Strats, a Warmoth and a Fender.

I have a hollow (well, chambered) Warmoth Strat as well, so to compare the general weight and tone:

I'll never buy a solid body Strat again. I don't see the point, since the hollow sounds better to me and weighs half as much.
I've used on low volume clean toned jazz gigs, and I've used it on high volume hard rock gigs. It's just the coolest sounding and most responsive "Strat" I've ever owned, played, or heard.

Now, instead of expanding my collection to include a wider variety of guitars, I just want a chambered Warmoth Strat in every color.

Well, except for fiesta red...that can wait indefinately.

"I'll never buy a solid body Strat again. I don't see the point, since the hollow sounds better to me and weighs half as much.
I've used on low volume clean toned jazz gigs, and I've used it on high volume hard rock gigs. It's just the coolest sounding and most responsive "Strat" I've ever owned, played, or heard."

+1  :icon_thumright: I've got multiples....

As usual, I don't have much to add.  I love the look on people's face when you tell them it's hollow.  They look and knock on it.  It's chambered, but they're thinking it's an acoustic.

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
mayfly said:
Hmmm... I wonder what a chambered tele would be like... :icon_biggrin:
I do too, I think you have to buy one for me.   Make it double humbucker please.  :toothy12:

I have a chambered basswood / flame maple HSH tele on order, with a flame maple/pau ferro neck......I'll let you know how it pans out ;-)

I posted earlier in this thread and have now finished the guitar.

While I think it turned out fantastic and sounds great, I am sort of disappointed that it is not more resonant than it is.
walnut/korina

Other than being super light weight, I can't tell much of a difference between it and a solid body...

blimpo said:

While I think it turned out fantastic and sounds great, I am sort of disappointed that it is not more resonant than it is.
walnut/korina

Other than being super light weight, I can't tell much of a difference between it and a solid body...

This is unrelated to the topic but....

Pics or it doesn't exist!

Tempest said:
blimpo said:

walnut/korina

This is unrelated to the topic but....

Here it is..
DSC00343.jpg

Pics or it doesn't exist!

Oh that one!

Sorry I was under the impression that you just made a VIP.  :doh:

That's a sweet guitar BTW.

Back