Hipshot Tremolo

Zionplayer

I am building  a strat using a Warmoth body, and I am in the decision process about which tremolo to install/buy.I don't want another Rose, so...
My question is regarding Hipshot tremolos.
Can all of you who own a Hipshot chime in with your detailed analysis and opinions?
Any info you might offer will help me make an informed choice. I hate to make a dumb choice, don't you?
Any pros use the Hipshot?

Thanks for your input......

Ross

I have 2 hipshot trems, ballbearing, and they work like a charm. solid as a rock, very stable, good sounding, nice looks, and very little problems with going off key after a heavy divebomb. there will be always just a little bit of going out of tune, but not as much as with other trems.

the fact that is has ball bearings, and the clean looks, made me choose hipshot instead of wilkinson.

Thanks for the usefull info Orpheo.
When you mention "ballbearings", I get curious as to which model hipshots you own.
As I read a description of the model I am considering, on Stewart McDonald website and also on page 65 of their latest catalogue, there is no mention of ballbearings. They include the 3 tension springs and various wrenches and screws...so are you refering to the full floating Hipshot Tremolo?

Thanks....

Ok, upon further reasearch, :sign13: Orpheo, you must have the Hipshot model 42200.
I am looking more at the full floating model 42100.
Any comments on the model 42100 full floating trem from Hipshot......

Many thanks

no, I have this one:

tremol14.gif

you see, there are no 'knifes' but little balls. on the other version too. you see aswell that the saddles are being 'locked' in the bridge. the ballbearings are the thingies on which the bridge rotates.

Nice image, thanks.
Does this trem fit on top of the body with no routing, or is there a metal block beneath it. thus requiring some hollowing/routing ?
What model is it also, so I can research it.

Zionplayer said:
Nice image, thanks.
Does this trem fit on top of the body with no routing, or is there a metal block beneath it. thus requiring some hollowing/routing ?
What model is it also, so I can research it.

oh this is just the upper part of the trem. its just like a normal tremolo, but with some modifications to it, to make it work better.

this is a total pic of the entire piece:

lefttremlores1.jpg

i have 2 of these tremolo's, and I like them, a lot! almost as much as I like floyd rose.

Yeah, I don't like a Floyd Rose anymore. I hardly ever play my Strat style Warmoth with the F Rose. I am not as fast anymore I guess.
My style has evolved from metal type of fast arpeggios to more chord vibrato, double stop bends and slower lead passages where I need an acurate pitch control.

Thanks very much for your help. The photos helped alot.
I think your model is the 42100, is this correct???
Where did you purchase yours?

Later

Zionplayer said:
Yeah, I don't like a Floyd Rose anymore. I hardly ever play my Strat style Warmoth with the F Rose. I am not as fast anymore I guess.
My style has evolved from metal type of fast arpeggios to more chord vibrato, double stop bends and slower lead passages where I need an acurate pitch control.

Thanks very much for your help. The photos helped alot.
I think your model is the 42100, is this correct???
Where did you purchase yours?

Later

yes, i have the 42100. I got mine at a dutch store, called vox humana (www.voxhumana.nl). I dont know if they ship abroad, but I do think so. I think, though, that stewmac is cheaper....

So Orpheo, you are sure that the 42100 fits in the same post holes as the Wilkinson, right? no modifications?
If I get the recessed routing, does it fit in the recess when pulling up? It seems bigger than the wilkinson..

m4rk0 said:
So Orpheo, you are sure that the 42100 fits in the same post holes as the Wilkinson, right? no modifications?
If I get the recessed routing, does it fit in the recess when pulling up? It seems bigger than the wilkinson..

yes, 100% sure. It fits with the am-stand. routing, but I prefer the wilkinson, because you have a bit more space. the issue for 'fitting' or not is the size of the tremblock, and that is the same. I've got 2 hipshots, one on wilkinson rout and one on an am.stand. and both work like a charm. I can do pull ups right now, but with the recessed I think you can pull up even ferther. too bad you dont live 'around the corner' to test them...

hm... interesting
I wonder if the hipshot studs fit in the pre-installed wilkinson bushings.. I have no idea how to pull those things out... :confused4:

m4rk0 said:
hm... interesting
I wonder if the hipshot studs fit in the pre-installed wilkinson bushings.. I have no idea how to pull those things out... :confused4:

not even necassary. the studs are the same. and the studs fit the bushings ;)

A bit of a stupid question:

Living overseas, where guitar stores are hard to come by, the only trem-equipped guitar I have played is a Floyd. Can anyone give an idea of what they use their Wilkinsons/Hipshots for (as in how far of a dive, etc.)? Basically, I'm wondering if tuning is stable to the point of adding shimmer, or the point of dropping a step or two...

Thanks guys

Newbie here...

So does this trem go FLAT on the body's surface or can it only be a floating trem? Excuse my ignorance :help: :icon_biggrin:... Is the Am Std also floating?

Thanks in advance!

the tremolo can't be flat on the surface of the body, because the trem isnt designed to be that way. but, you can have it dive only (then you have the trem at an angle).

I bought the tremolo at a local luthier. I can dive an octave. to be more precise: the 4 highest strings will dive an octave, the low e + a string will come loose of the fretboard. with a properly cut nut the trem will come back in tune. its a quite stable unit. a floyd rose is more stable than this one, but thats logical, since there's no locking nut.

Orpheo thanks a gazillion... Hipshot, Am Std and Wilkinson are all floating, then. Seems like I'd prefer a hardtail or a Floyd... or maybe even a traditional Strat trem... aaagh! Floyd's out of the question for this project (I already have one w/ a Floyd).

Millo said:
Orpheo thanks a gazillion... Hipshot, Am Std and Wilkinson are all floating, then. Seems like I'd prefer a hardtail or a Floyd... or maybe even a traditional Strat trem... aaagh! Floyd's out of the question for this project (I already have one w/ a Floyd).

sorry, you haven't read it right. you can have it floating or non-floating. you just have to set it up right. wilkies are indeed most of the time floating, but hipshots can be on an angle towards the body, because there are no knifes to wear out, only ball bearings. trust me, you realy, really want hipshot. its the best 2 point trem money can buy.

Back