Hipshot Locking Tuners?

jerryjg

Anyone have any experince with the Hipshot locking tuners with the exposed gears?
Musicians Fiend sells them. The are slightly less costly than the Schallers , which are my favourite.

Sorry, man.  Don't know anything about their functionality, but my next build will have them for sure.  I've been wanting to try them out for a while.  I have used Hipshot bridges before and they are frickin' awesome, so I'm sure the tuners are of good quality.  I know a lot of bass players love the Ultralites, so I guess that the guitar tuners would be on par with those.

I checked them out at NAMM.  I liked them.  I thought pretty much everything at their booth was nice. 

Okay, I need to revise my opinion on these tuners, for the record. They are not worth the money. Better..no, MUCH better to spend the extra cash and get the premium Schallers., or for about the same price the Sperzels are much better. I have not tried the Gotoh Magnums though.
The reason I dont like them is cause i was dead right about them to begin with. Cheaper construction of the tuner button ( which is also smaller/thinner and harder to grab and turn). Feels like the tuner button will bust almost when its all the way up. Pass

jerryjg said:
Okay, I need to revise my opinion on these tuners, for the record. They are not worth the money. Better..no, MUCH better to spend the extra cash and get the premium Schallers., or for about the same price the Sperzels are much better. I have not tried the Gotoh Magnums though.
The reason I dont like them is cause i was dead right about them to begin with. Cheaper construction of the tuner button ( which is also smaller/thinner and harder to grab and turn). Feels like the tuner button will bust almost when its all the way up. Pass

So the tuner button is the only reason you don't like them? I've done a lot of research on almost all of the locking tuners available (Gotoh, Grover, Planet Waves, Sperzel, Schaller, Hipshot, Wilkinson EZ Loks), and the only ones I haven't read anything bad about are the Hipshots and the Sperzel Sound-Loks. I decided to go with the Sperzels since they are the lightest, don't have a thumbscrew (they have a friction lock), and are staggered.

Back