Hipshot Contour Bridge Doesn't Quite Fit

OuterLimits

Hey, Everyone.

Second time Warmoth builder here (did a bass 6 a few years ago).

I just got a strat body and ordered a custom route for a hipshot contour tremolo. Went to go assemble it, and the back of the trem cavity is juuust a little too short to fit the bridge in. I know there have been other reports of this in the past, for example,

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25977.0

which is why I ordered a custom route. I'm on the fence about whether to send it back or just expand the trem route myself. The body is already finished, so it might not be that easy. Anyone have any experience with doing this kind of mod? I don't have a router, would I need this or any other specialized equipment to expand the cavity by an eighth of an inch or so?

Welcome to the forum.

If you ordered a custom rout I would suggest you contact Warmoth sales.

stratamania said:
Welcome to the forum.

If you ordered a custom rout I would suggest you contact Warmoth sales.

Indeed I did. I sent them a picture of the bridge that was all the way back in the top trem cavity and they said they didn't see a problem.

So, of course now I'm paranoid, so I tried measuring the scale length. The distance from the nut slot (LSR prep) to the 12th fret was 12 11/16", which is close enough to 12 3/4" that I'm not concerned.

Then, I measured from the 12th fret to the center of the heel of the neck with a leveling square and got 5 11/16". Next, measured from the center of the neck pocket to the far end of the post hole in the insert that Warmoth installed for me (this corresponds to the approximate location of the tremolo fulcrum) and got 6 15/16". Finally, I extended the saddle out as far as it would go inwards toward where the neck would be if it were assembled, and measured from the fulcrum point on the tremolo to the location where the string would sit in the saddle and got 1/8 ". Adding these 3 together I get 12 3/4", which looks fine at first for half the scale length but keep in mind this is with the saddle extended out all the way toward the fulcrum of the tremolo.

Bottom line question for those knowledgeable in strat dimensions: is the 25.5" scale length meant to be at the shortest string length, or does it correspond to the middle of the range of the intonation adjustment at the saddles?

It seems to me like the trem route is set so the scale length is set too long here and if I assemble it, it won't intonate. 

OuterLimits said:
Bottom line question for those knowledgeable in strat dimensions: is the 25.5" scale length meant to be at the shortest string length, or does it correspond to the middle of the range of the intonation adjustment at the saddles?

It seems to me like the trem route is set so the scale length is set too long here and if I assemble it, it won't intonate.

25.5 inch will be the shortest string length (high E) and the others will be further back

Thanks for the info. Seated the neck in the pocket *very carefully* , used tape to protect the finish, didn't install any screws, and checked the scale length. Looks like this is ok. It's just that the top route is too far forward.

For anyone considering asking for a custom route for the hipshot contour bridge, I would recommend sending Warmoth the bridge route template from hipshot located here:
https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/42100.PDF 

Whatever route Warmoth currently uses ends up looking like this when you try to install the Hipshot (the trem block is all the way back towards the tail end of the guitar)

42100.PDF

Measuring scale length for an LSR is different, you cannot measure from the edge of the nut slot as it is extended by .094″(2.38mm) towards the first fret going by Fender specs. This accounts for you measuring less than 12 3/4" to the 12 fret. Try measuring from the ball bearings that the strings go over. That is the scale length position equivalent to the leading edge of a standard nut.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-string-nuts

Perhaps post the picture you sent to Warmoth sales as otherwise we cannot see anything. Though it sounds like the confusion is due to how to measure the scale length due to the LSR nut slot.

Back