Hipshot 6 string contoured tremolo

Mandalie

Anyone here use one? The look pretty sweet! I hate the screw in arms so this thing really is for me ha. It's also a floating bridge. Reminds me of a prs.

I bought one to go on my canary strat build, but ended up using Hipshots other trem, the simpler flat plate one. Works the same way, but for that build looked better.

Still need to get round to putting the contour on a build, as it’s currently redundant in a parts drawer...

Absolutely smooth - nice and resonant too. Pop in arm is stable and hasn’t gone floppy like some do. No potential cross threading either!

It looks great, works great and sounds nice. Love the U shaped saddles, but wish the square corners were rounded a touch so they were more comfortable when palm muting. If they’re on an angle to set the action up a bit higher, they’re above the contour wall and they poke up...

Other pop in arms get floppy? I just got a gotoh traditional tremolo with a screw I'm arm and that thing is a floppy as it can get ha.

Very interested in the Hipshot Contour trem as well. I'm either going for this or the Vegatrem on my new build. Opinions? Must be floating! 👻

I have two installed. First one, I modified Warmoth’s Am Std route to allow the fit and motion. (Routed off rear edge or “lip” of top opening) Second one, I had Warmoth measure my bridge and route for it on a showcase body.

I highly recommend having them do it for the $45 u/c. The post location and route placement are NOT identical to the Am Std route and it places the whole bridge like 1 or 2 mm towards the treble edge of the neck.

That’s one bad*** vibrato bridge btw. Imparts a rich, sparkling tonal quality with slightly noticeable compression/energy loss as you play harder (the thing is so smooth and floaty fluttery, you can get it to warble a bit with percussive attack.). I use one with a roller nut and locking pegs and it is so buttery and slidey.

Better range and out-of-the-box tone then the Bladerunner, but it’s a different beast. (You can upgrade a bladerunner!) The Contour for me is similar to (though not as highly engineered as) the Wilkinson VS100, frankly the one and only thing that sets the Contour clearly ahead is the bearing design. It simply floats on those points like greased marbles.

Back