Hipshot 10mm open gear locking tuners

stratamania said:
You would need to use the Schaller / Modern Fender / Sperzel (25/64" - 9.92mm) option.

I ordered a custom neck yesterday with 13/32" tuner holes, as the Hipshot website mentions this. My tuners (in the mail) are the Hipshot classic open tuners, non-locking. I panicked just now when I saw your post and called Warmoth. They seem to think that 13/32 is correct...I'm confused...

BTW, this is my first post.  I usually don't post on forums, as pretty much all the info is there, if one searches for it.
This will be my fourth Warmoth neck (2 pbass necks and a guitar neck).

Welcome to the forum.

13/32 is 26/64 versus 25/64 which is a difference of 1/64".

Neither of these measurements is 10mm as one is slightly under and one slightly over. Of the two I would rather have to ease the fit of a hole than end up with a hole possibly slightly loose.

At one point Schallers and Hipshots used two step holes with two different diameters but this is no longer the case and both use a straight bore.

stratamania said:
Welcome to the forum.

13/32 is 26/64 versus 25/64 which is a difference of 1/64".

Neither of these measurements is 10mm as one is slightly under and one slightly over. Of the two I would rather have to ease the fit of a hole than end up with a hole possibly slightly loose.

Indeed! I changed to the 25/64". Thanks for the heads-up!

25/64 = .390in

I received the tuners and measured the part that fits through the headstock and they measure:

.385in to .387in

Thanks so much!  :hello2:

I get imperial measurements for the nut size and neck radius. But for Tuners it's not great, why not list the millimetre size too? It's way less confusing.

Imperial versus metric is just one of those challenges of the guitar parts world. Or to make things more challenging a combination of the two. For example decimal applied to inches instead of having 1/2" becomes 0.5".

Strangely the US have defined Customary units with metric since the 19th century though for everyday use many things seem still to use imperial measurements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units

Back