High Fret?

C

callaway

Hey everyone, I'm sure most of you have seen my new walnut/rosewood Thinline project. Anyway, I thought the 5th fret in my rosewood neck was a little high. I get buzz at the 4th, and a straightedge gives it away. So looking at it closely, it seemed that the 5th fret was lifted a little in the center. I took it to the tech at my local shop, and he couldn't get it tapped down any further than it already is. Notes fretted at the 5th don't sound dead, so is it just a possibility that the slots are barely shallow?

I just tried to take some pictures, but I don't know that you'd get much from them. Upon looking more closely, I can see just a little gap between fret and fretboard on almost all frets. I can slip an edge of paper under nearly all frets. Is this normal, or is it possible that my frets are fully seated and maybe just the slots are barely a little shallow.

I'm thinking of just proceeding with a full fret level unless anyone else has advice about the frets. I wish I would have taken pictures when I had the strings off.

If it's stable (not getting worse, not popping out of the board due to humidity etc), I would think that a leveling job would be the right thing.  It all depends on why it's high.  Being able to slip paper between the fret and the wood doesn't mean there's a problem.

Warmoth's frets are glued in.  So long as their not loose a spot level should do the trick. 

You can always wax off the fretboard and run some water thin CA under the fret to adhere it better.  The glue can usually be vaporized with a soldering iron when its time for a refret.

Thanks guys. I think I'm not going to attempt anything to get the fret seated further, but just do the full fret leveling. Hopefully there was no harm in giving it a few good taps with the fret hammer... you know, I'd hate if that broke up the superglue at all and will eventually make the fret actually pop up. Oh well, seems okay for now.

I've had a single weird one here and there. If you're comfortable in thinking in tiny sizes (.002"), you could level just that one. I wouldn't do it without feeling comfortable about intent & tools.

I used a tiny block and some 400 grit to knock it down a bit. I've watched/helped level and dress frets before when a friend made me a guitar from scratch. I put Sharpie on top of the fret, then just kept barely knocking it down. It's still not down level, but it's a bit better than before.

I already have a fret crowning file I bought when we did that custom guitar a few years ago. I'm thinking I'll just buy a level sanding block of a decent length (don't want to spend $35 on the ones from StewMac) and use some thin double-sided tape to hold the sandpaper on. I'll give it a few weeks though... might as well wait until I need to change strings again.

Back