HH wiring with 1 Vol & 5-way

ToneGrinder

I am trying to duplicate an Ibanez RG1527 configuration minus the tone control.  The best diagram I have found is below.  However, I'm not sure what type of switch they are using - I have seen a similar config in other RG's using a superswitch, which I would like to avoid.  Is it possible to map this to a standard Fender style 5-way blade switch?

DiM_8poleRev2_zpsdt7d1nsv.jpg

Only 8 contacts so it doesn't appear to be a superswitch.

Found this the other day for another query:

QUPhKf7.jpg

I think the diagram suggests the Japan import type, but I'd hang on for one of our electrics experts to confirm.

[edit] Now I think it's the other one... Definitely wait!

I *just* went through this same wiring scheme for a friend's Ibanez RGA121 that I'm rewiring. Turns out Ibanez uses a completely custom 5-way switch to enable their fancy coil configurations. So unfortunately it's impossible to do with a standard Fender switch.
Here are some details:
https://www.jbwid.com/guitar/ibz_switches.htm

The easiest option is to get the Ibanez switch, and then you can wire things up just like they do in the diagram you posted. Just search "3PS1SC5 Switch" or "2502N switch" on ebay or reverb, and you'll see some replacement switches you can buy. These switches should fit into a standard Fender pickguard, fyi (1 5/8" mounting hole spacing). I'd say they're "medium" quality switches - they do use the PCB switch plate but they're not too bad.

For my friend's guitar I really wanted to upgrade from the stock Ibanez switch so I did a bunch of research finding a better switch and wiring diagram. I ended up buying this one:
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Oak_Grigsby_Super_Switch.html

I found a video where a guy explains how to wire it (although he swaps positions 3 and 4):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OjREEDcCw[/youtube]

I have a wiring diagram written out at home for the actual stew-mac switch (the poles are moved around some). I can post it if you're interested.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have questions, like I said I just did a bunch of research on it myself.

p.s. I think the Ibanez HH switching scheme is great! Position 2 (parallel neck humbucker) is especially useful.

Thank you Dave - that is very helpful, and I would be very interested in your diagram.

I do have one concern about position 3 (or 4 in the video - Bridge HB Series + Neck HB Series together in Parallel):  The pickups I plan to use (Dimarzio Chopper in the neck and AT-1 in the bridge) are 9.16 KOhm and 16.3 KOhm respectively.  I have read that the impedance mismatch will result in almost no change from the lower impedance pickup (neck in this case) and a quieter output.  For that reason I was thinking of wiring both Humbuckers together in series (my Richie Kotzen Tele has this setting and I use it frequently for leads, very fat sounding).

Any thoughts on this?  Or would it be better to combine the bridge humbucker with only one coil of the neck PU in series?

I think if you stray from the stock Ibanez switching scheme you're in a little bit of uncharted territory both as far as how to wire it up, and what it'll sound like. That being said, it definitely makes sense that you'll get mostly bridge pickup if it's that much hotter and you combine both pickups, each wired as series humbuckers. However that doesn't mean it'll sound bad! It will probably sound almost like the bridge pickup is soloed, with a tiny bit of neck mixed in. It could actually be a good tone, it's hard to say and it depends on your specific pickup combo. You'll probably get the same effect on position 4 (1 coil of each pickup) and again it could be good or bad, hard to say.

The nice thing about switching schemes is, you can always try it and see what it sounds like and then change it if you don't. If you buy the Ibanez switch I think you can only really do their exact wiring, but if you get the stew-mac switch you could probably pretty easily figure out how to change position 3 into something else.

It's kind of like a logic puzzle coming up with these wiring/switching schemes. I'm terrible at it so I find what others have done online, but you can also figure them out from scratch or modify existing diagrams with just some brainpower.

Is this wiring diagram ok/readable? I can try laying it out in powerpoint if not.

The top PU is the neck, bottom is bridge. I moved around the common poles of the switch to reflect how they're layed out on the Stew-Mac switch, as opposed to how they are on the youtube video. I also swapped positions 3 and 4 to make it match the Ibanez wiring.

I think I should be able to follow that - thank you again!  I have a feeling some trial and error will be necessary to arrive at the combination of tones I'm after.

I wired this up in the guitar I was working on this weekend. Lots of connections on that superswitch! But everything worked out. One FYI...if you have the stew-mac switch my wiring diagram has it upside-down. I had to flip it, otherwise the neck position was on when the switch was towards the bridge, etc.

Thanks Dave - this is the part of the build I am looking the least forward to, but we'll see how it goes.  I'll probably have a tech do the final set-up and cut the nut, so if I need rescuing I can add that to the list.

Back