Hey - how do you do a plugin?

mayfly

Epic Member
So here's the thing.  I've got an enthusiastic marketing guy helping me sell my stuff.  Today he has this idea: "Hey - what if we could offer plugins for your DAW for your pedals?  What if we could also do the same with modelling amps??".  er Wow - that's a left turn.  Marketing guys. 

Obviously there is more than one DAW and modelling amp out there, so I figured I'd start looking at the easiest one to do.  Which I didn't know (but I suspect it's Kemper).

So - How many of you guys have done some kind of Plugin?  Know anyone who has?  Have you?  Want to help me with a little project?

Trevor

This can be hard… there are significant performance challenges with getting accurate models of hardware.

Valhalla has a few blog posts on the topic primarily for reverb but they do cover dev environments in the first one.

I don't know about plug ins but I've got two pedals from tc that have the capacity to download tone shapers.  It's fun but after a while you find there are only one or two mimics that are worthwhile.  Definitely a marketing gimmick that works.  It got me.  But in the 15 years since I've owned them I'm back to getting pedals that sound good without them.

Unless you are a developer with knowledge of component modeling and convolution etc trying to model a pedal and create a plugin would be quite a stretch. Then you have a market with lots of plugins available already. It sounds like a marketing idea but probably not that easy to execute.

Unless you have badass backend developers and data scientists at hand, your best bet would be to convince IK Multimedia or Neural DSP to convert your pedal into a plugin (which they probably won't do because you are not Slash, Petrucci etc.).

You can, however, pretty easily profile your pedal sound into a Kemper rig (however, that will be colored by cab/amp used for that). Also, I wouldn't know what the marketing value of that would be given that a) paid profiles usually relate to replications of famous sounds (e.g. Hendrix, Gary Moore, etc.) and b) free profiles are free and there are just too many of them.

Hmmmmm.  Well, I don't have to do everything that the marketing guy wants ... :)

new-killer-star said:
This can be hard… there are significant performance challenges with getting accurate models of hardware.

Valhalla has a few blog posts on the topic primarily for reverb but they do cover dev environments in the first one.

I was going to mention Valhalla too. Love those plug-ins.

new-killer-star said:
The Aaron said:
I was going to mention Valhalla too. Love those plug-ins.

Valhalla is sooo good, soundtoys as well.

The market for good plugins like those is not saturated…

Part of what I love about Valhalla is he doesn't make any pretense about them looking like a piece of hardware. I like the $50 each pricing scheme too. Plus.....giving away Valhalla Super Massive....for FREE???

Been trying to get him to do a compressor forever. I think he lives right here in Seattle. Maybe I need to show up at his house...

Back