Hey Gregg, read this:

stubhead

Master Member
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1932.0;topicseen

Thanks! There's a sugg. at the bottom - pretty easy, maybe?

here's my original thread on this topic from ages ago:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=507

all the best,

R

The scale's right... right... there..... :blob7: Maybe it would waste too much bandwidth? :toothy12:

The reason we never bother to list neck weights is because it rarely comes up as an concern point for customers.  If someone gets a super extra light hollow body and is concerned about neck weight, they generally know to shy away from heavy neck woods. But even if they don't, they rarely experience a problem. Even if they have head dive, that does not effect a good portion of guitar players since some of the most famous OEM guitars are naturally that way.

So, do we go out of our way to start weighing every neck to sensitize people to an issue that normally has little consequence and perhaps detours them from trying out an exotic wood that may have ended up their favorite? Being a fan of exotic wood necks myself, that would be a shame. I know some people really take a leap of faith trying new and different neck woods and designs and are so glad they jumped afterwards. I would hate to put a "perceived" speed bump in their way.

If weight is especially important to you when buying a Showcase neck, ask your rep to weigh it for you. Otherwise, I don't think I can come up with a compelling reason to have (the already stretched) Warmoth resources pointed at keeping track of neck weights. That doesn't mean sometime in the future it won't happen, it just means we have many other initiatives at the top of the priority list currently. Like, anyone know a CNC programmer that wants to work in a guitar factory?

I might not be as sensitive to weight as all you young guys, but of all the necks I've used, the only one that was noticibly heavier was a pau ferro neck with an ebony board. Just use some common sense when ordering a neck for a really lightweight body... Besides, if you DO get a neck that's out of whack with the body, then you have a perfectly plausible excuse to stash it and do another build....

jackthehack said:
Besides, if you DO get a neck that's out of whack with the body, then you have a perfectly plausible excuse to stash it and do another build....

I like the way you think  :icon_thumright:

Gregg Stewart said:
Like, anyone know a CNC programmer that wants to work in a guitar factory?

i do!  what does it pay?

can i get partially in parts?

i have less than a year left on my enlistment can you wait that long?

DiMitriR33 said:
Gregg Stewart said:

i do!  what does it pay?

can i get partially in parts?

i have less than a year left on my enlistment can you wait that long?

We've been looking for about year already. Send Warmoth a resume when you get out.  :icon_thumright:

Gregg Stewart said:

questions:

* what's the CAD platform and CNC suite?
* can they work part-time - or - once established and integrated within the team, can they work virtual the majority of the time

you can reply via PM if you feel it's more appropriate

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
Gregg Stewart said:

questions:

* what's the CAD platform and CNC suite?
* can they work part-time - or - once established and integrated within the team, can they work virtual the majority of the time

you can reply via PM if you feel it's more appropriate

all the best,

R
Mastercam
Full time position.

how current is the software.
i haven't used mastercam X or X2 yet but i'm sure i'll adapt quickly.
the air force uses featurecam and i dislike it.

do you just need a good programer or do you need an operator, someone to load the program, put the blank in the machine and hit cycle start.
the latter could get old but you do get some pretty pieces of wood to drool over.

what are the machines you use how many axis. most of my experience is with an old fadal vmc 4020. the last base i was at got a haas vf4 but i didn't find the controler as intuitive. comands work in one screen but not another. but once you learn it it can be very easy to use and a real time saver.

Hate to dig up this topic...

Gregg said:
If weight is especially important to you when buying a Showcase neck, ask your rep to weigh it for you.

I called and asked if I could get a showcase neck weighed, and I was flatly told that they won't do that.  I don't understand... I wanted to spend $1500 on a neck and body but now I don't want to because I'm afraid it'll be neck-heavy.

Edit: I'm gonna go for it anyway :D

Back