Here's my new Birdseye Maple Pau Ferro Neck

hanny11

Just came today! Super Excited!  :headbang: Body Should be here tomorrow, I hope, otherwise Monday
2366315260059176085S425x425Q85.jpg
2692649360059176085S425x425Q85.jpg
2767261390059176085S425x425Q85.jpg

ok, so i know most here like the darker woods, but c'mon, nobody at all likes this? hmmmm :sad:

I love it!  I love my Pau Ferro board, hope you do too!  That's a nice bit o birdseye as well! 

guitlouie said:
I love it!  I love my Pau Ferro board, hope you do too!  That's a nice bit o birdseye as well! 
Thanks Louie! Is is bright like maple? What kinda tone do u get?

Well, my Pau Ferro board resides atop a lightly flamed Anegre neck.  Try finding the description for that wood on the Warmoth site!  It was a showcase item, so I know they carry the wood, there is just no description.  What I found elsewhere to describe this wood is that as far as guitars are concerned, it has a very mahagony-like tone, but it looks quite different.  As with many other members here, I think the fretboard itself has less an effect on tone than the actual neck wood, and so it seems with this neck.  While I haven't A/B'd it with another neck on this same guitar, it does seem a little warmer than my previous strat, which had the old maple on maple neck.  The thing I love about the Pau Ferro is that is smooth as glass under the fingers.  It also has a very tight grain, so I think it will hold up well after years of my finger grime have tried to assault it.  I have a feeling you may get the brighter sound you are after with the maple neck.  Can't wait to see your progress!

willyk said:
wachagonnaputiton ???
Well a surf green strat of course  :guitaristgif:  just like we discussed when I first joined up. it sure is different so the wife was on board. the Jag waits until another day. 

Ya know, the more I see Pau Ferro now, the more I think what I bought 10 years ago as Pau Ferro isn't PF at all.  All the PF I see is medium colored and streaky.  What I got was very dark, almost black like ebony, and fairly smelly too.  Your fingers would pickup a distinct odor from it.

No worries, not my neck any longer.

hanny11 said:
willyk said:
wachagonnaputiton ???
Well a surf green strat of course  :guitaristgif:  just like we discussed when I first joined up. it sure is different so the wife was on board. the Jag waits until another day. 

I like your style hanny.........another day!!!.........spoken like a true Warmoholic...........outstanding mate  :icon_thumright:

-CB- said:
Ya know, the more I see Pau Ferro now, the more I think what I bought 10 years ago as Pau Ferro isn't PF at all.  All the PF I see is medium colored and streaky.  What I got was very dark, almost black like ebony, and fairly smelly too.  Your fingers would pickup a distinct odor from it.

Check out the Pau Ferro neck on page 5 of this thread; it's darker than the pic looks...:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=975.60

jackthehack said:
-CB- said:
Ya know, the more I see Pau Ferro now, the more I think what I bought 10 years ago as Pau Ferro isn't PF at all.   All the PF I see is medium colored and streaky.   What I got was very dark, almost black like ebony, and fairly smelly too.   Your fingers would pickup a distinct odor from it.

Check out the Pau Ferro neck on page 5 of this thread; it's darker than the pic looks...:

WOW that is really nice, what is the back made of? Looks like macassar ebony, or the darkest pau I ever saw. A bad odor would be of more concern. On a seperate note I read this one article in a guitar mag, the guy said his guitar smelled like tuna, after eliminating a girl (no girlfriend) the editor figured he was not washing his hands after he ate lunch. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the john.  :doh:

hanny11 said:
jackthehack said:
-CB- said:
Ya know, the more I see Pau Ferro now, the more I think what I bought 10 years ago as Pau Ferro isn't PF at all.   All the PF I see is medium colored and streaky.   What I got was very dark, almost black like ebony, and fairly smelly too.   Your fingers would pickup a distinct odor from it.

WOW that is really nice, what is the back made of? Your right, that fret looks like macassar ebony, or the darkest pau I ever saw. A bad odor would be of more concern. On a seperate note I read this one article in a guitar mag, the guy said his guitar smelled like tuna, after eliminating a girl (no girlfriend) the editor figured he was not washing his hands after he ate lunch. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the john.  :doh:

That's a unique neck I picked up for cheap on eBay; it was an "experiment" or something at Warmoth; neck is Pau Ferro with a thin - maybe 1/8" inch - purpleheart laminate strip under an ebony fretboard; heaviest neck I've had to date, but feels fantastic. The eBay link I bought it on is dead now, but apparently the guy had bought it while ago because he had the pics from the original Showcase listing and it was only $267 new from Warmoth; I got it for like $285 with shipping, was shocked I won the auction.

Funny thing is he probably dumped it because either he or whomever he had do setup work on the neck filed the graphite nut in such a manner that it would NOT tune the 1st/2nd strings properly unless a string tree was installed, and there was no existing pilot hole to indicate one was ever installed.

Back