HELP with Pearly Gates Trembucker

bbl4ck

Want to see if anybody can give me some details about the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Trembucker pickup.

I want to replace the bridge pickup on a Duo Sonic build with the Pearly Gates Trembucker.  Trying to pick it up at The STRATosphere while they are having the black Friday sale.  Here is the challenge.

The Pearly Gates Trembucker model TB-PG1 description states specifically it is an F-spaced pickup.  However, STRATosphere does not have the TB-PG1.  They have the TB-PG1b which states "for Tremolo equipped guitars including Fender Strats."  Now is this really an F-spaced pickup?  I thought the "b" in the model number might just indicate "bridge." 

Anybody have any thoughts on this before midnight EST? 
Thanks for your time :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

If it's a Trembucker then it's F spaced right? I was under the impression that's what that designation meant. Now I have also heard rumors of the OE Fender Pearly Gates being wound slightly different than the run of the mill SD. A little brighter I believe to aid with coil splitting. I've never validated that though.

pabloman said:
If it's a Trembucker then it's F spaced right? I was under the impression that's what that designation meant.

Yea, that’s the same as I thought!  Some of what I am reading indicates that a tremmbucker is slightly wider than the f-spaced pickup and both are wider than a Humbucker.  Just not sure if the size difference between the trembucker and f-space is enough to make a difference.  I might be better off just getting the f-space from SD cuz the trembucker is only 15% off (15$)...

https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/120335-F-spacing-not-same-as-Trembucker

Seymour Duncan says the difference between their models of humbuckers vs. trembuckers is only the pole spacing. They're otherwise identical for a given model with the exception of  the Blackouts, Dimebuckers, El Diablos and Invaders, because they don't have exposed poles.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make - the pole spacing thing is basically a cosmetic consideration. While the vertical distance from the strings makes a difference in sound, the side-to-side position isn't critical (within reason). You can use either style pickup in any position without changing its tonal characteristics/output level. But, if it's important to you that things line up and look like they were designed with a purpose, then get the dimensionally correct version. In other words, it's aesthetically pleasing if things line up, but it won't hurt anything if they don't.

Back